Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Ya, I didn't think either of you could back up your reply.
I can tell you my welder barely uses half the available wattage from the small inverter.

This me not welding with a single 27DC battery and the 3000 inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
20190515_155849.jpg   20190515_155905.jpg  

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
o1marc, what welder are you running specifically?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
When you ask such a question marco you should include nameplate data from the devices or a pic of the nameplates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What welder is that?
Asked and unanswered.

Quote:
How is moot? It is totally inaccurate and a statement that can't be made without know more particulars.

Maybe you can clear it up by telling me my welder model number and it's wattage consumption?
Same as above
Impatient much?

Quote:
Ya, I didn't think either of you could back up your reply.
I can tell you my welder barely uses half the available wattage from the small inverter.

This me not welding with a single 27DC battery and the 3000 inverter.
I do recollect someone curtailing the 12V welding tangent to return to the original query on inverters.
For someone who harangues Noobs for not posting their curriculum vitae, kinda surprised you didn't include all of your proposed systems digits in the original post.
Shouldn't oughta be a round of Twenty Questions. [emoji111]
Old 05-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Asked and unanswered.

Same as above
Impatient much?

I do recollect someone curtailing the 12V welding tangent to return to the original query on inverters.
For someone who harangues Noobs for not posting their curriculum vitae, kinda surprised you didn't include all of your proposed systems digits in the original post.
Shouldn't oughta be a round of Twenty Questions. [emoji111]
My question was on the advantages or not of having 2 separate inverters. Since I KNEW I could power my welder off the inverter, so model of welder or brand is irrelevant. The some of you come in and tell me it won't work which is just an ignorant reply.
If you must know, I have a Lincoln WeldPak100, 120v. Lincoln says it uses 3100-3200watts and running my welder is no issue.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Fair enough.
And no, I neither need to know, nor particularly care...
Quote:
My question was on the advantages or not of having 2 separate inverters.
If you must know, I have a Lincoln WeldPak100, 120v. Lincoln says it uses 3100-3200watts and running my welder is no issue.
That data point in the onset would have saved both confusion and aggravation, all around.

Quote:
Old 05-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Fair enough.
And no, I neither need to know, nor particularly care...

That data point in the onset would have saved both confusion and aggravation, all around.
How so? If I never mentioned the welder the question remained the same.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

That is true.
Its capabilities are key to the resultant mis-focus. That sounds like a hellish load to the uninitiated.
Quote:
How so? If I never mentioned the welder the question remained the same.
If it was known to already work with the inverters available, we prolly wouldn't've gone down that rabbit hole.
For me, not one of the nay-says, btw, I got focused on the welding application thru an inverter. Sounded pretty high-tension wire to me...
Old 05-16-2019, 12:28 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Just a thought. After pounding a two battery bank pretty hard for 8 months I realized that I ruined the batts. 3000 watts is 250 amps for a single 12v batt. A single lead acid battery can do that for a bit, but it won’t last long and it will kill the battery for good in short order.

Starter batteries can give a huge burst but only briefly and then get charged. Deep cycle batts don’t like the super high loads as much.

I have a 4 battery bank now and I try to limit my max draw to 2400 watts which will pull only 50 amps from each battery. That’s still hefty, but it shouldn’t zap them, and small loads are easy peezy with a bigger bank.

Charging them at the appropriate rate with a three stage charger is also important.

For what you are doing a 6 battery bank and 4/0 cable/250 amp breakers seem in order.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:38 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Post #6 reads:

Quote:
These are the 2 inverters I have. Just realized the 3500/7000 is a modified sine wave as opposed to my 3000/6..000 that is pure sine wave. The welder I have is 110v, 35-88amp output.
My bad ... your last sentance made me think your welder output was 110V at 35-88 amps. Your later post stated that is is a 30V output. With the 30V output, even accounting for some inverter and welder inefficiency losses, either of your inverters should be able to drive your welder for a bit (as long as your welder does not mind the modified sine inversion of the bigger inverter). Be mindful of what other posters have said about battery draw and sizing.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Glad to hear your inverter will run your generator. I would expect that mine would not (1000 watts) but I haven't tested it. I decided to plan on using my generator if I need to weld or run anything much bigger than my normal power load.

As far as advantages to using 2, there are a few things to think about. Just being on will consume some watts, so if you have 2 you'd want to keep the big one off when not in use. Second, inverters are really inefficient below 10% of their rated output, so over-sizing your inverter might cost you extra power. A 3000 watt inverter delivering 200 watts is going to consume twice as much power from your battery as a 1000 watt inverter doing the same job. Efficiency is highest around 30% of rated capacity. These are of course general statements and individual products vary.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Quote:
These are the 2 inverters I have. Just realized the 3500/7000 is a modified sine wave as opposed to my 3000/6000 that is pure sine wave. The welder I have is 110v, 35-88amp output.
I'm not sure that two separate inverters of that size is going to help you out much unless you have equipment that runs fine off of the modified wave inverter and a big enough battery bank to handle both inverters running together. If you had two inverters with a larger difference in wattage, I would think a small pure sine to run the fridge and a big one to run everything else. But, that is not what you have.

You could however, wire in the modified inverter as a backup plan in case the pure sine fails. Easier to do this during initial install instead of having to take the system apart and replace it in case of failure. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I'm not sure that two separate inverters of that size is going to help you out much unless you have equipment that runs fine off of the modified wave inverter and a big enough battery bank to handle both inverters running together. If you had two inverters with a larger difference in wattage, I would think a small pure sine to run the fridge and a big one to run everything else. But, that is not what you have.

You could however, wire in the modified inverter as a backup plan in case the pure sine fails. Easier to do this during initial install instead of having to take the system apart and replace it in case of failure. Just my thoughts.

Good insight.

I think the case for two is valid in two circumstances: one big for large loads, one small for efficiency on constant small loads. The other case: two matched/synced inverters for running two hot legs/220V like your house does. This would be helpful if you have a 220V mini split, oven, hot water heater, or 220V welder.

But the battery/solar requirements would be really big.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #32
Bus Geek

The single battery test of the welder was just to show that it works. I will have a large battery bank to run the inverters and would leave the garage unit off unless needed. I'm sure most of what will be run out of the garage will be power tools. Well you guys have offered some much more valuable info today, Thank you.