Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Anyone need a generator?

Cant go wrong: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/70222/e ... ontpage%29

If you are wanting that type of genset. I have a Champion, which is the same thing and I am very happy with it.

opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Anyone need a generator?

$230 is certainly cheap for a 4 k gen set.. wonder how long it is actually rated for.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
$230 is certainly cheap for a 4 k gen set.. wonder how long it is actually rated for.
You mean how long will it run on a tank? It's quite economical. Mine runs over night when I need it and I would have an oil radiator plugged in I think.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

No. I was wondering how long the unit is rated for operation before failure. MTBF.. Lightweight generators generally have fairly low hour rating.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

For $499.99 you can get a 390cc, 6500 Watts Max/5500 Watts Rated Generator with Electric Start from Harbor Freight. Depends on what you need.

To keep your fuel consumption low, Figure on running the generator at a 1/2 load. So if you add up the stuff you would normally be running at the same time and it comes to 2.5K watts, Then double that amount to find a generator. Be careful as I have seen generators list only their MAX rating prominently. To me, the generator I have linked to above is a 5.5K generator... NOT a 6.5K.

Also these are open frame air cooled generators and many places frown on them because of their noise. You would need to add a car muffler and build a sound reducing cover that will still allow enough air to the unit to keep it from running hot. Unless you will be setting the generator out side of the bus (ours will be built in under the bus), You will need an electric start. Even if ours was outside the bus, I would still have an electric start. I'm getting too old to be pulling a rope start. Don't forget you have to drain/replace the oil far more often than a "real" RV generator. I would think a synthetic oil would stretch that out a bit. This is a thing we really haven't looked into.

Would I buy an open frame contractor generator? You bet! (it's the one I linked to above... if they still have it when I finally get a generator). We won't be running a generator unless we are driving down the road or wallydocking in a parking lot. I figure I can build a sound reducing cover, put a car muffler on it and build a permanent mount Genturi. All of which will go to keeping the noise down (I don't want to listen to it either). I can't see spending big bucks for something that I will use rarely.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

I have an Onan generator. It runs at only 1850 and is very reliable. Around here, you can get good ones with low hours for $250 on CL most of the time. Their gensets are also designed for very high mtbf.

I do have a great contractor generator with a briggs engine. It is very noisy, but will run many saws and tools at the same time.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE

I agree with chev49. I have a late 1970's Onan bfa 4k generator. Picked it up on CL for $300 a few years back. This thing just flat out runs. Never had one single issue with it. Just change the oil and go. Such a basic little setup with tons of parts available if needed.

If I had not found the Onan when I did, I probably would have gone with a protable style generator though.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

I have an Onan too but mounting it would be a major job. For the amount of 110v I use, its much easier to throw this in a bay and toss it on the grond when I need it. Sure, I cant use it going down the road but I dont want anything 110v going down the road. Its pretty quiet for a contractor type genset too. Plus, I could buy 3 of these, for the price it would cost me to mount the Onan, get a battery and gas tank...lol.

Now, what to do with this Onan....
Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

I picked this up at a garage sale a couple weeks ago... Not sure if it will do the job.
But if I can get it mounted, and running, and a fuel cell, and an upturned exhaust (like the gen turri Lorna was talking about) then I will see if my $200 investment was a wise one. Anyone know about this particular model? It may be overkill, but that has never bothered a guy that has a 40' bus..
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0693.JPG   DSCN0694.JPG  
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #10

It' snot easy to find a good generator, so I think you're lucky that you've found one at a garage sale (normally I find just crap there which nobody needs)! But since the last year I prefer using generator rentals because it's much cheaper in general, because I don't need it too often. But I think it's a matter of taste!
shophi is offline   Reply With Quote