Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2021, 01:12 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: GMC
ATS vs Manual Transfer Switch

Hey all, quick wiring question regarding Transfer Switches.

Here’s what I want to be able to do:
1. Easily switch to shore power (generator) when there is little/no solar power available.
2. Be able to power the A/C loads from the generator while the batteries charge through solar, or vice versa.

My main source of power will be 800w of solar going to a 60A MPPT charger to my battery bank. However, I want to also wire up shore power to be hooked to an electric start 30A backup generator in case the sun doesn’t show for a little while.

I’m leaning towards getting a manual transfer switch so I can easily swap over to generator power on rainy days, but doing only that leaves me without the option to use the generator to power the AC loads while using solar to recharge the batteries more efficiently.

Where would I wire in a transfer switch to be able to achieve both these things?

My current inverter is an AIMS 3000w PSW Inverter which is also a 100A charger. I’m just a little confused where to place the transfer switch(es?) and how it would “speak” to the rest of the system.

Thanks for taking the time. Every bit helps!

silvermachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:40 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Your Aims 3000 Inverter/Charger should have a transfer switch built into it. At least our 2000w Aims did. Ours would seamlessly switch between solar and shore/generator power, though we were on solar 90% of the time. Super simple to wire up, since it was sort of an "all-in-one" unit. Worked well, until it didn't, and we replaced it with a Xantrex with the same features.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Most of the larger AIMS inverter/chargers have built in transfer switches...

However if it doesn't, you would wire your switch between the output of the inverter and your distribution box (breaker panel)... then wire in a shore power inlet to the transfer switch.

Depending on the switch, most have a timed delay between switching sources and are setup to "favor" one side or the other. They are pretty simple to install and are self explanatory once you see them.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic transfer switch, generator, inverter, manual transfer switch, solar