Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Wouldn't that also be dependent on operating loads while driving? Especially those blessed with A/C?

because I'll be using my conversion during the winter and very seldom in the summer, I didn't consider solar as being worth while - but it occurs to me that many of the places we visit during the winter has strong steady winds, and that an 'easy mount/easy dismount' ( or at least easy to stand up and lay back down ) wind turbine might be worthwhile

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Wow, people really run gensets while driving? Nothing more 'Murican than that I thought I was joking. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Just put the main alt output direct to House, maybe upgrade to higher output if you think worth it.

Keeping Starter topped up is so trivial does not warrant a dedicated alt.
It won't play.

I either need a dedicated alternator or a buck/boost (12-24v) charger. If I go the charger route I need to find one that is 30+ amps.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Wa'al... so much for the highjacker's consignment of his cockpit assignment to the nearest figure of authority.
Just hope not to be entangled in a tree top upon alighting after making my score..:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
In keeping with the common warning, I would carefully consider the A/C needs of rig when "moving" before spending a lot of money on this approach and being unhappy.
I've had two motorhomes (34' Fleetwood Pace Arrow and 40' Newmar Dutch Star) and they both cooled acceptably while driving from the roof mounted A/C units (and running the generator). That said, I didn't attempt to keep either of them at icebox temps, I spent most of my time in the west (including hot southwest) - avoiding humidity, and don't recall doing a lot of driving when it was smoking hot (preferring to drive in the cool of the night instead). Yes, motorhomes are different and some supplement roof A/C with engine/dash A/C so this is not an apples to apples comparison. Just hate to see someone spend a lot of time and $$$ just to end up unhappy.
I reckon, given finances and a generally piss-poor life-outlook, I'm gonna be unhappy, regardless.
Was hoping to maybe be a mite more comfy while I k'velled...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
because I'll be using my conversion during the winter and very seldom in the summer, I didn't consider solar as being worth while - but it occurs to me that many of the places we visit during the winter has strong steady winds, and that an 'easy mount/easy dismount' ( or at least easy to stand up and lay back down ) wind turbine might be worthwhile
That project is yet in the works... [emoji6]
Still working on my feasibility study to have a wind turbine charge the house bank in transit, AND while encamped.
Radically different propellers & charge controllers/restrictors required, dependant upon application.
Will advise...
Quote:
Wow, people really run gensets while driving? Nothing more 'Murican than that I thought I was joking. . .
No. Hoping to avoid having any surplus engines running whilst slogging down the road.
Not that I'd be particularly adverse to the concept of having my EU3000i boogying down, if I found myself required to make an all-day westerly run with naught but my sweat glands to keep me from heat-stroking out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
It won't play.
I either need a dedicated alternator or a buck/boost (12-24v) charger. If I go the charger route I need to find one that is 30+ amps.
Cool!
My original question isn't quite as wee-Todd-did as I was beginning to believe it was!!!
iGracias, senor!
Old 07-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Wa'al... so much for the highjacker's consignment of his cockpit assignment to the nearest figure of authority.
Just hope not to be entangled in a tree top upon alighting after making my score..:

I reckon, given finances and a generally piss-poor life-outlook, I'm gonna be unhappy, regardless.
Was hoping to maybe be a mite more comfy while I k'velled...

That project is in the works... [emoji6]
Still working on a feasibility study to have a wind turbine charge the house bank in transit, AND while encamped.
Radically different propellers & charge controllers/restrictors required, dependant upon application.
Will advise...

No. Hoping to avoid having any surplus engines running while slogging down the road.
Not that I'd be particularly adverse to the concept, if required to make an all-day westerly run with naught but my sweat glands to keep me from heat-stroking out!

Cool!
My original question isn't quite as wee-Todd-did as I was beginning to believe it was!!!
was just looking at small wind gens - 400w 12v, for under $300 including controls for limiting power when needed, built in protection for hurricane force winds - needs a minimum 8' per second movement of air - oh-yeah, you have to supply your own pole - lol
Old 07-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:
...oh-yeah, you have to supply your own pole - lol
That last is the least of my concerns...
Oh! You probably mean a mast to which affixes the turbine.
Never mind...
Old 07-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
That last is the least of my concerns...
Oh! You probably mean a mast to which affixes the turbine.
Never mind...
........................................ ..
Old 07-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
It won't play.

Wow, any idea what's so thirsty?
Old 07-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #29
Bus Geek

I just saw the knuckleheaded idea arise again of sticking up a wind genny while driving, supposedly to catch power in fact created by our own fuel.

Rube Goldberg perpetual motion machine, by definition incredibly wasteful,

and has wasted tons of time as an idea in a dozen forums over the years.

Stick with solar.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Wow, any idea what's so thirsty?
To prevent sulphating the plates you want to bulk charge at C/12 minimum. I prefer C/10-C/8.

Let's go with C/10 on a 430 a/h bank would be 43amps.

Hence the second alternator idea. I am having trouble finding a 40+ amp 12/24 buck/boost charger.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

re john61ct:
"Knuckle-headed"? I resemble that comment! [emoji57]
The slip-stream produced by any object moving thru and displacing air is wasted kinetic energy.
Harvesting said waste energy, particularly on a rig with the approximate aerodynamic characteristics of a cinder block, should net little discernible loss to said cinder block's operational efficiency
A perpetual-motion machine is limited by friction and entropy. Even if capable of traversing insane distances by way of LIDAR & aerial refueling, entropy will still win.
Not seeing from where your radicalized statement originates, but if you care to share, I am ever open to enlightenment.
Thanx! [emoji111]
(And, once again: returning control of the flight deck to the appropriately sanctioned crew.
Fat lotta good that's been, so far...)
Old 07-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I just saw the knuckleheaded idea arise again of sticking up a wind genny while driving, supposedly to catch power in fact created by our own fuel.

Rube Goldberg perpetual motion machine, by definition incredibly wasteful,

and has wasted tons of time as an idea in a dozen forums over the years.

Stick with solar.
you may or may not have noticed I said an easy up easy DOWN wind gen set up - parts of the world are not blessed with 12 hours of sun during the day - some are limited to 1/2 or less than that amount - solar power would be virtually useless in the winter months in those areas, but the areas I go into are often blessed with a steady 24/7 wind of 20 knots, give or take - raise the mounting pole that the wind gen sits on when you'r parked and lower it when your moving - trying to gain from wind power by creating a gas or diesel powered windstorm costs more than it gains
Old 07-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
To prevent sulphating the plates you want to bulk charge at C/12 minimum. I prefer C/10-C/8.

Let's go with C/10 on a 430 a/h bank would be 43amps.

Hence the second alternator idea. I am having trouble finding a 40+ amp 12/24 buck/boost charger.
Sorry, confused again.

You say your engine side (12V?) needs 30+A, I asked, what is so thirsty?

Now you're looking to also bring over 40A (call it 500W), from that same alt output to a 24V House circuit?

What will handle charge termination if you use a converter?

You realize no Float right? only on or off

TBH, this thread is not conducive to efficient comms at a high level. How about you start your own, drop a link and I'll join you.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:24 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
you may or may not have noticed I said an easy up easy DOWN wind gen set up - parts of the world are not blessed with 12 hours of sun during the day - some are limited to 1/2 or less than that amount - solar power would be virtually useless in the winter months in those areas, but the areas I go into are often blessed with a steady 24/7 wind of 20 knots, give or take - raise the mounting pole that the wind gen sits on when you'r parked and lower it when your moving - trying to gain from wind power by creating a gas or diesel powered windstorm costs more than it gains
Would mean you're giving yourself a reason to go park in the windswept treeless spot instead of someplace more comfortable.

I've actually lived near various windgens, and the noise/vibration drives you nuts.

Since solar's become cheap, consumer windgen's taken a nosedive, for good reason. Load dump must be constantly running, moving mechanicals to replace, can be a violent event when stuff breaks

And a lightweight but portable tower high enough is a real feat of engineering, worth more than most buses.

But hey your rig, go for it
Old 07-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Might be my ADD, but pretty sure sled-dog racing doesn't much happen terribly far S of the Arctic Circle.
Just sayin'...
Amd I'm thinking I ought be offended by the, "high-level comms" comment.
Do we need a secret decoder ring to partake..?
Old 07-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:
The slip-stream produced by any object moving thru and displacing air is wasted kinetic energy.
Harvesting said waste energy, particularly on a rig with the approximate aerodynamic characteristics of a cinder block, should net little discernible loss to said cinder block's operational efficiency
Nope.

that "wind" is created by your ICE shoving the cinderblock.

Sticking a windgen up just increase the inefficiency

of which your net gain stored energy will be a tiny fraction, paid for in lower mpg at a higher price than a gallon of fuel cell hydrogen in Norway.

Just stop. I've lived through dozens of threads where it gets hashed over, never pretty.

"Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the*pig."
Old 07-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Might be my ADD, but pretty sure sled-dog racing doesn't much happen terribly far S of the Arctic Circle.
Just sayin'...
Not sure of your meaning.

Windgen will not work if there are trees anywhere around.

Did I understand you right?
Old 07-29-2019, 05:35 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Sorry, confused again.

You say your engine side (12V?) needs 30+A, I asked, what is so thirsty?

Now you're looking to also bring over 40A (call it 500W), from that same alt output to a 24V House circuit?

What will handle charge termination if you use a converter?

You realize no Float right? only on or off

TBH, this thread is not conducive to efficient comms at a high level. How about you start your own, drop a link and I'll join you.
Well..... I posted to respond to the OP and mentioned how I was using multiple sources for battery charging.

Didn't intend to threadjack

Carry on.

PS: No converter. Dls-40 and Midnite Classic both handle float with no problem as will the Balmar alternator. Challenge is finding the bracket to mount the alternator.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #39
Bus Geek

OK, nother time then. Too bad, only part of the thread I didn't feel slipping into another parallel universe (again)
Old 07-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Nope.

that "wind" is created by your ICE shoving the cinderblock.

Sticking a windgen up just increase the inefficiency

of which your net gain stored energy will be a tiny fraction, paid for in lower mpg at a higher price than a gallon of fuel cell hydrogen in Norway.

Just stop. I've lived through dozens of threads where it gets hashed over, never pretty.

"Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the*pig."
OK, stopping.
Lobbing a favorite quote back is one thing, however I will desist on insisting quantitative proof of the truth.
Misguided tho it is.
A reduced capacity air-foil would add an insignificant drag-load, tho I doubt any serious study has yet been financed.
Quote:
Not sure of your meaning.

Windgen will not work if there are trees anywhere around.

Did I understand you right?
Referencing SG's post of ambient aeolian conditions.
P'raps less noticeable at ground level, but at a modest elevation, a viable source to generate electricity.
And all at the cost of some threaded pipe, guy wires, and eye bolts.
Doesn't sound much like rocket surgery, at least to me.