Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
batteries for wheelchair lift

My bus came with two giant "commercial" batteries from Centennial Battery Systems. Lead-acid "starter" batteries, it seems; although I can't find anything on the label that identifies their type, they have 6 vents on top where you can add water.

Both were dead, but only a year old.

One was for the bus and the starter. One was exclusively for the wheelchair lift. They tied together through a battery isolator. Either it was bad, or the relay that controlled its operation was bad, because I got new batteries for the motor/bus (two wally world batteries in parallel) but the wheelchair lift battery was killing them overnight. It is deformed on top, like something overheated and melted inside maybe?

I disconnected the wheelchair lift battery from the isolator, and now have no problems with the motor/bus batteries. They stay charged for months.

I ditched the old wheelchair lift battery, and temporarily installed a new(er) automotive starter battery to power the lift (without connecting it through the isolator or directly to the other batts) to see if the lift works. YEA it does!

I also want to install solar some day, but in the meantime, I also want a battery (or set of batteries) that is a deep-cycle to power stuff in the skoolie like interior 12V LED lights, laptops and computer monitors, maybe an occasional blender or, if I can get away with it, a toaster oven, etc. Just enough for an overnight orgy of electrical gluttony, or a week of conservative usage of low powered lights, without worrying about my starter batteries in cold weather. (I've run the inverter with just the laptop for several hours on the two starter batts, and the motor started right up afterwards)

Until just recently I thought I needed some ridiculous set of electrical equipment to get everything to work together, i.e. 12VDC alternator -> lead-acid batts -> inverter to 110VAC -> deep-cycle battery charger -> deep-cycle batteries <- plus a solar-panel-to-battery-controller thingy.

Now I see people here talk about DC to DC chargers, and AGW deep cycle batteries that can be charged directly with your alternator! Wonderful for the "house" side of the skoolie!

But how about the wheelchair lift? I never did figure out how many amps it pulls. But can I safely run it under load, perhaps twice a day 5 days a week on any deep cycle battery (or set of them) or is this pulling too much too fast for a relatively small set (I have room for two more fairly large typical automotive-sized batts in the factory underbelly battery box - 4 total) ??? And will I be able to charge the deep cycle batts back up with my alternator within a half-hour drive, as a drained starter battery would?

Or should I stick to using starter batts for the wheelchair lift, and just take the hit on longevity as I use them for interior stuff. As it is now, I have a single LED light with a magnetic base that runs off a few AA or AAA duracells, and they last me months. I'm not into a vibrating refrigerator (rather, actual quiet nights parked in the woods), so my daily usage will likely be low (don't know what the laptop and monitor will take, though, including loss though the invertor)

Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Oh yea, the other question is can I use a battery isolator and put starter batteries on one post, and deep-cycle on the other?

The isolator company that makes the one in my bus says it sends the proper amount of charge to each battery...
Old 12-30-2019, 06:03 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Put a shut off switch on the wheelchair lift power, my lift is just hooked to the 2 start batteries, no separate battery
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Why is the lift drawing current when not in use? The TC2000 I had the lift battery was the start batteries.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Why is the lift drawing current when not in use? The TC2000 I had the lift battery was the start batteries.
There is a small "power" light on the top of the lift motor. But it is not what is drawing the power that kills the starter batts... The other (lift) battery was shot-dead and draining-killing the starter battery.

As far as using my starter batts for the lift, I want to run the lift without having the motor running, and without draining down my starter batts when it is cold, leaving me unable to start the motor.