Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #1

Battery and Plug in help

I have two solar 12v batteries and a 1k inverter. Lately when I plug the batteries into the generator to charge, I'm noticing soon after I get this beeping letting me know I'm using too much wattage after I plug anything in, like my 200 watt electric blanket.

Two things: does this mean I need new batteries? I do have a multimeter and am thinking about using that to measure the charge, just been busy.

Secondly, Can someone explain how batteries work and shore power for skoolies? how long should I be charging the batteries? Can you over charge them? I'm using shore power to charge them now should I unplug it sometimes? Any tips on how best to use a normal 15mp shore power with a Skoolie.

Any support around this as I'm using an electric blanket and small heater and need the stuff to work would be super helpful!

USERNAMESBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:04 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by USERNAMESBOO View Post
I have two solar 12v batteries and a 1k inverter. Lately when I plug the batteries into the generator to charge, I'm noticing soon after I get this beeping letting me know I'm using too much wattage after I plug anything in, like my 200 watt electric blanket.

Two things: does this mean I need new batteries? I do have a multimeter and am thinking about using that to measure the charge, just been busy.

Reading this made my head hurt--not your fault, its late and I'm tired and not super clear headed--but the more specific and relevant info you can include the easier it will be to diagnose. From your first paragraph I'm having a really hard time understanding where the issue is.

Can you clarify:
  1. What do you mean "plug your batteries into the generator to charge"
  2. The beeping noise you are hearing, its unclear to me whether this happens during charging, or discharging, or while doing both simultaneously.
  3. What makes you think the beeping has to do with Watts specifically, and what component starts beeping? Do you have a manual for that component?
  4. How are you charging your batteries?
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #3

What do you mean "plug your batteries into the generator to charge"

The issue I'm naming would happen before I plugged into shore power with the generator as well.

The beeping noise you are hearing, its unclear to me whether this happens during charging, or discharging, or while doing both simultaneously.

During charging and after discharging as well.

What makes you think the beeping has to do with Watts specifically, and what component starts beeping? Do you have a manual for that component?

The beeping goes away when i unplug or turn things off so it gives me the idea I'm going over my wattage, but I'm confused because my bus is plugged into shore power.

How are you charging your batteries?

Shore power, but not sure how that works exactly. Does shore power allow for constant use of the battery bank if it's plugged in? I don't have a transfer switch so power is going through the inverter and battery.
USERNAMESBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by USERNAMESBOO View Post
What do you mean "plug your batteries into the generator to charge"

The issue I'm naming would happen before I plugged into shore power with the generator as well.

The beeping noise you are hearing, its unclear to me whether this happens during charging, or discharging, or while doing both simultaneously.

During charging and after discharging as well.

What makes you think the beeping has to do with Watts specifically, and what component starts beeping? Do you have a manual for that component?

The beeping goes away when i unplug or turn things off so it gives me the idea I'm going over my wattage, but I'm confused because my bus is plugged into shore power.

How are you charging your batteries?

Shore power, but not sure how that works exactly. Does shore power allow for constant use of the battery bank if it's plugged in? I don't have a transfer switch so power is going through the inverter and battery.
Your answers are too vague (and in some cases contradict each other) to provide much context (not blaming you, electricity is not very intuitive for most of us, me included). (for instance in your original post you mentioned 'plugging your batteries into the generator' immediately before the problems occur, but here you are saying that you are charging your batteries from shorepower?

You need to try to narrow down the problem, and you need to review your inverter/charger documentation to try to identify what it is telling you, any decent (and many cheap) inverter will indicate what warning alarms and lights signify.

Try to eliminate as many variables as possible to isolate the problem. And don't jump to the conclusion that it has anything to do with Power (Watts), it may also have to do with current or voltage.

Based on context, I'm wondering if you might be misusing the term generator, you can't plug your batteries into a generator and you can't plug a generator into shorepower. When you say generator, are you referring to a Gas/Diesel/Propane generator or something else?
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
To add to what dzl_ said, it might help us troubleshoot this issue if you post the make/model of the inverter and the charger. The beeping means something, and it's probably detailed in the owners manual.
Our inverter is a combo inverter/charger, and it's got an internal transfer switch. When plugged into shore power or a generator, the batteries are being charged and the AC power is passed through to run our lighting, fridge, laptops, and other AC appliances.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Exactly what batteries do you have? Are they true deep-cycle batteries, or "marine" batteries (that are neither fish nor fowl), or starting batteries, or what? If they are deep-cycle batteries, what is their amp/hour rating? If they have no aH rating and only a CA or CCA rating, they're not true deep-cycle batteries (which are what you need to power an inverter).

I suspect you have insufficient battery bank size for the inverter, and when you run almost any load off it the batteries' voltage is sagging down so much that it triggers the Low Battery Voltage alarm. To me, "two batteries" and "1000 watt inverter" shouldn't be in the same sentence!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery charge, electrical, shore power