Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2024, 01:58 AM   #1

battery bus bar

I just picked up a 2011 international IC FE

The battery tray is a mess, it seems to me to many things are hooked up off the wrong batteries.

It has 3 (12 volt)
Now shouldn't all the negatives be off battery 3 and the positives be off battery 1.

Right now there's a bunch hooked up off battery 2

I want to clean it all up and run everything to bus bars and then just have two cable running from the batteries to the bus bars

Can this be done using a 1000 amp bus bar.
Thanks for the feedback.

Sminoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:40 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Yes it should work as long as you match positive to positive bar and negatives to a negative bar (assuming multiple negatives).

The negative on sum buses have two thick gauged wires coming off. One goes to the Bus Chassis to ground, and the other goes back up to the starter. A Bus bar could also be made for that as well, but obviously separate from the positive.

My battery tray was a mess as well. You can tell all sorts of dudes worked on it miss wiring everything, and my VPM was fried likely as a result. I re-wired it before they replaced the VPM and it's worked great ever since.

Also in such a configuration if you plan to run a battery disconnect I recommend a short wire from negative of battery 3, to the disconnect, and then from the disconnect to the negative bus bar you'll be adding.

Good Luck.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote