Old 12-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #1

Year: 1989
Coachwork: GMC Vandura 3500
Chassis: Micro Bird
Engine: 6.2 I6
Rated Cap: 18
Battery \ Electrical Issue

Battery \ Electrical Issue

So, a few months back I bought new batteries (same batteries all around) for my 88 Chevy van (gas) and my 89 GM short bus (diesel, engine and house battery). I have been starting them every week and been letting them run for 15-20 minutes.

Today, the bus will not start and the van is still going strong. I don't have much electrical experience (or mechanical, really... just enough to be dangerous) and I'm wondering what might be going on. I turn the keys after the glow light indicator turns off, I get one click and nothing else. Doesn't even attempt to turn over.

Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting? If I need to elaborate, let me know where you might need more detail. Thanks!
Stanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
You need to start by charging the battery fully and then having it tested. Could be a bad battery. Does that diesel bus have only one battery?
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
How many batteries in the bus?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #4

Year: 1989
Coachwork: GMC Vandura 3500
Chassis: Micro Bird
Engine: 6.2 I6
Rated Cap: 18
The bus has two batteries. One in the engine bay and one down underneath the bus. I replaced both of those and the van the same day and with the same battery.
Stanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Always the first thing to do is look everything over. Check all terminals and contacts for clean tight connections. Look for damaged wires and terminals. Look at the connections at the batteries, grounds, alternator and starter. They should all be clean and tight. When in doubt, clean.

Before you do service on the electrical system disconnect the negative terminal from the batteries. Then you can disconnect and clean other terminals. Use sand paper to clean connections then reconnect firmly,.

You could have a bad alternator. You can have it tested at the auto parts store.

You could have a bad battery. Just because it’s new doesn’t mean it’s good. If you have a bad cell in a battery it can sap all the batteries in the string. Most auto parts stores we swap batteries for new ones if it won’t hold a charge and it’s less than a year old. They will also charge the batteries.

If all this is checked and you can’t find the problem you might have a parasitic draw.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I have a Microbird. As your only getting one click I’d suspect the battery(s) are low for some reason or a high resistance connection. But it would probably click repeatedly if it was a connection.
My microbird would not crank over the other day. It would click strongly repeatedly. I took the starter motor out and found it it was stuck by prying it loose with a screwdriver. It works again but I don’t know for how long.
Have you diagnosed it now?
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I agree with the current diagnosis. It sure sounds like the battery is low, which says the alternator may not be charging it or the battery is bad.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote