Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2022, 09:58 AM   #1

Year: 2013
Battery Hookup

I just recently bought my 2013 Ford E-450 shuttle bus and upon removing the wheelchair lift out of the side door, I’ve exposed +/- cables coming from the battery… does anybody have experience or tips on how to wire this to a new fuse box to power the accessories in reverse? I’m a former subcontractor but never been hands on with circuitry on my own.

BusfromAkron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:22 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevy Express
Engine: Duramax LMM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusfromAkron View Post
I just recently bought my 2013 Ford E-450 shuttle bus and upon removing the wheelchair lift out of the side door, I’ve exposed +/- cables coming from the battery… does anybody have experience or tips on how to wire this to a new fuse box to power the accessories in reverse? I’m a former subcontractor but never been hands on with circuitry on my own.
I used the wiring and hot post in the engine compartment that went to the lift and rerouted it to power my DC to DC charger.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/2...tml#post444653
BMWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:35 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
When you say 'power my accessories in reverse' what does that mean?
Rucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:20 AM   #4

Year: 2013
I’ve figured out most of it on my own, however i meant using these +/- cables from the lift to hookup a second battery and power the van without using the start battery. I can provide pictures.
BusfromAkron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:40 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
where do those wires come from?
are they wired through the start battery or are they a completely seperate run from the alternator?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:59 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusfromAkron View Post
I’ve figured out most of it on my own, however i meant using these +/- cables from the lift to hookup a second battery and power the van without using the start battery. I can provide pictures.
I think I understand what you're asking. The secondary battery is commonly used to run the lift as well as provide extra oompfh to the starter.

My first reaction is 'not recommended', but my lift is still installed and I don't have direct experience with repurposing the lift wire. The wire seems a little skimpy.

Note that most bus charging systems regulate the voltage going to the secondary battery, so it will not charge as fast, nor will your third battery when connected. It will also put additional stress the voltage regulator, though whether that would be enough for it to fail earlier I don't know.

Also, without a DCDC charger on the lift line, the third battery MUST be the exact same battery type (Lead Acid, AGM etc).

Also, I don't know that your secondary is isolated from the primary in any way (mine isn't, by design), so if you run down your third battery you'll also run down the secondary and primary and be dead flat when you least expect it. Best practice is a battery isolator downstream of battery #2.

Additionally, without some kind of wire size checking I would question whether you could safely use the lift wire due to the potential for very large draws when the third battery is low. Needs a fuse sized to the wire at the very least. On my bus that wire is NOT fused at the battery.

I am toying with the idea of 'phase 1 DCDC charger install' where I just tap into the lift wire for the DCDC Charger, downstream from the secondary battery, leave the existing trickle from the voltage regulator, and get what I can while driving, rather than run a new line from the alternator. I think it would be interesting to see how much charging I can get with that quick and dirty method.

I have an isolator from my secondary to a third and fourth lead acid battery, but they are not used except as backup if I drain the secondary and primary.
Rucker is online now   Reply With Quote