Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2020, 08:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Belt Driven Generator

Has anyone played with or made work, a 12, 24, or 48-volt generator that's belt-driven off of the engine? I want to run my rooftop AC while I'm underway but don't want to have to run a separate fuel-powered generator. I have done some basic google searches but this doesn't seem to be an area I have found a lot of details on. I would assume the generator would be supplying power through a charge controller to a large battery bank which feeds a DC to AC inverter to provide the 120AC for the Air Conditioner.

I apologize if there is a forum post already addressing this issue. Please link it and I will go there and remove this one. Thank you so much for your input

FamilyBusTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I wouldn't spend $100 to save $10. Not worth the effort.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:18 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Turtle Top
Chassis: E-Super Duty
Engine: Ford 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 13-passenger
if you're looking for a way to charge your house batteries while the engine is running, you merely need to hook up the house batteries to the starter batteries with a battery isolator and a fuse in between.

your alternator is capable of charging two sets of batteries assuming your wiring is adequate. you should be able to figure out the output of your alternator. you can swap in a bigger one if it's not up to the task of running the A/C.

most generators output AC current (although you can also get DC generators), whereas alternators and stators output DC.
sproutroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Cheese_Wagon. I'm not sure what you're trying to say? I would only be running the engine when I'm underway. It wouldn't be running once I've reached my destination so I wouldn't have any other reason for a fuel-powered generator. We don't dry camp so any place we park for the night would have shore power.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Sprout I'm not trying to just charge batteries. I'm trying to provide the amperage/wattage to run the 120V AC air conditioner off of the engine.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyBusTX View Post
I would assume the generator would be supplying power through a charge controller to a large battery bank which feeds a DC to AC inverter to provide the 120AC for the Air Conditioner.
This is the system I described above. It's simpler than you think.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #7
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Cheese_Wagon. I'm not sure what you're trying to say? I would only be running the engine when I'm underway. It wouldn't be running once I've reached my destination so I wouldn't have any other reason for a fuel-powered generator. We don't dry camp so any place we park for the night would have shore power.
My browser is a POS and likes to jump down the page before I can read the whole post. Misunderstood what you were saying. Revised. Apart from the isolator idea from sprout (my first choice), you might consider using a couple alternators driven by squirrel cage blower wheels mounted on the roof... Air scooped in, turns the blower wheels, which turn the alternators. Do you have a separate house battery bank?
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Could try looking into one off a fire truck, which are designed for such heavy duty usage. They aren't going to come cheap and they will be huge.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I am currently in a fresh build. I can have whatever I need at this point. Just trying to brainstorm practical installs for the future
Old 05-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #10
Skoolie

mine isn't wired exactly like this, but it should give you the right impression. follow the A/C circuit all the way back to the engine bay. those are the components you'll need.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:06 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Has anyone played with or made work, a 12, 24, or 48-volt generator that's belt-driven off of the engine?
Essentially, I think you just described your vehicle's alternator

Quote:
I would assume the generator would be supplying power through a charge controller to a large battery bank which feeds a DC to AC inverter to provide the 120AC for the Air Conditioner.
So basically I think this is the system you already have (or could have with a few modifications), right?
  1. A generator: your alternator (or a second alternator if you need more power)
  2. A 'charge controller': this might be something like this if you use lithium batteries, if you have a lead acid, I think something much more basic like this would be all you would need
  3. A Battery Bank: your "house" battery bank (how you connect it to the alternator would depend on the specifics of your setup)
  4. An Inverter: Another standard component of your 'house' electrical system
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:17 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
We have done this.

We have a 350A secondary alternator driven by the engine. It is hooked up to the house batteries. The house system is hooked up to our converter/inverter which powers our alternating current house loads, which includes our roof-top air conditioner.

So yes, it can (and has) been done. It is NOT cheap. You have to add a bracket to the engine (and change the belting system), mount the alternator, run battery cables to the house batteries, install the converter/inverter, install the house circuits, and install the air conditioner.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #13
Bus Nut

I almost bought one of these bonus alternators to charge while driving: https://www.electriccarpartscompany....rom-Alternator

But then I realized the one I already had was like 150 or 180 or something like that amps. So then I was going to buy that DC to DC charger on that page, but then I decided my house bank was going to be 24V instead of 12.

BroccoliBus (also on this forum) installed an inverter on their alternator, and then plugged that inverter into a regular 120V to 48V lithium charger. It may not be the most efficient but it works. See his recent tour here he talks about it:
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproutroot View Post

mine isn't wired exactly like this, but it should give you the right impression. follow the A/C circuit all the way back to the engine bay. those are the components you'll need.
somehow the image I attached here was forbidden by google, so I sketched this up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BAA2BAD8-D0B2-4984-B905-EAA4EF5E33AE_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	44408
Old 05-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Your wiring is all upside down. All of the electrons are going to run out.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #16
Skoolie

fixed it.

I also break my cookies in half to dump the calories out before I eat 'em.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the other piece of this is expecting to actually stay cool with a single rooftop A/C on the road?
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Yup. Will work just fine. Just had a generator question.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:07 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the other piece of this is expecting to actually stay cool with a single rooftop A/C on the road?
You make a valid point. There are a lot of variables involved. In our uninsulated 38' bus with three coats of elastometic paint at 90 degrees F ambient, our 13.5K BTU Coleman Roughneck keeps the inside bearable. At about 85 degrees it starts to get a touch too cool for me and at 80 degrees it is way to cold. On the other hand, at 95 degrees it is *almost* like being in 90 degrees with only the windows open. At 100 degrees, it is hot inside ... like 90 degrees.

More insulationandshutting off the back would help a lot.

Of course, we'll not be keeping out soda cool by the output vent either.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
It does really depend on where and when you use the bus.

I spent some summers in a 40' bus with 2" of spray foam insulation and two 12k roof airs.

I was very comfortable in Seattle in July. Bullhead City, AZ and Lubbock TX were a different story.

In Bullhead, running both airs, I had weeks at a time that I struggled to keep it in the 80's inside in the afternoon.

I have amended my bus rules: Summers must be spent North of 43 degrees North. Or above 4000' in elevation.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote