Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2022, 01:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Brake lights out

My brake lights are not working when the brakes are engaged. They work during the lamp check, so I figure it’s not a bulb issue. I cannot located a fuse for them. All other lights working. Any ideas where the brake light fuse might be or what the issue is? It’s a 2007 international. Thanks!

Booneandthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:30 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
you should have a brake light switch.
usually mounted on the brake pedal.
unless your bus has something different.
but has to know when you press the brake pedal
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:37 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Maybe dumb question but if you have air brakes, is there air in the system?
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:31 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booneandthebus View Post
My brake lights are not working when the brakes are engaged. They work during the lamp check, so I figure it’s not a bulb issue. I cannot located a fuse for them. All other lights working. Any ideas where the brake light fuse might be or what the issue is? It’s a 2007 international. Thanks!
You said they worked during the lamp test...how did you check them when you did the lamp test?
(to check the lights on my bus, someone would have to put their foot on the brake)
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:19 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
I would suppose on a bus with air brakes that there would be a pressure switch in the brake application air circuit.

Best thing to do, if the bulbs and sockets are good, is to do voltage tests with an operational system (i.e. running bus). Take the voltage at a bulb socket. Apply the brakes and see if you get a voltage. If not, you might want to locate the brake light switch, where 'er that might be.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:42 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the reply’s!

There is air in the system. Brakes work fine.

I’m able to check the lights with a “lamp check” switch on my dash. It cycles through all of the lights to show which ones are working. I’m sure this is for the bus drivers before they go on route. Since all the brake lights light up during this, the bulbs are fine.

I’m thinking the brake sensor that was discussed is a prime suspect. Trying to locate it by the pedal. So if I do, what exactly should I be checking it for? Would it need to be replaced?
Old 01-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Yeah, if they're lighting up during that test (that's pretty cool), then the fuses, wiring, and bulbs are obviously all GTG.

Our bus has pressure switches right off the valve assembly the pedal is mounted to / actuates. In this picture (sorry for the quality) they're on the left-hand side, screwed into the ports behind the smaller set of green/orange air lines. You can see the wires coming off just as they're hidden by the steering column. Note yours could be reversed (right side), and they'd operate the same.

IF this was the source of your problem, you could test the pressure switches by pulling the plug off of them, and then measuring resistance across the terminals of the switch. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit) when brakes aren't pressed, and close to zero resistance (likely read a tiny resistance depending on your meter/range) when the brakes are pressed.

If they are working as they should, then you could move on to other tests. One of those two leads coming into the switch should read +12V or more.
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0030.jpg  

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:14 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Finally getting around to fixing this and not having much luck...

I replaced the air brake switches and no dice. But, I was finally able to figure out that I am blowing the fuse every time I hit the brakes. I'm thinking it's a ground issue somewhere, but I'm having trouble finding it.

The same lights work fine as running lights, it only blows the fuse when I press the brakes. Is a bad ground my most likely culprit? Any idea where I should be looking for one?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2022, 05:07 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: 31 ft. HDX
Engine: CAT C7 250 hp
Rated Cap: 36,300 GVW
You don't have a bad ground, you have a really good ground in the wrong place (a short circuit that blows the fuse).
Your brake light bulbs are most likely dual filament, one lower wattage filament for the running lights and a higher wattage filament for the brake lights.
The simplest thing to do is remove and inspect the bulbs.
You really need a wiring diagram to test this.
jimmythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 05:39 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Finally getting around to fixing this and not having much luck...

I replaced the air brake switches and no dice. But, I was finally able to figure out that I am blowing the fuse every time I hit the brakes. I'm thinking it's a ground issue somewhere, but I'm having trouble finding it.

The same lights work fine as running lights, it only blows the fuse when I press the brakes. Is a bad ground my most likely culprit? Any idea where I should be looking for one?

Thanks!

Short answer: NO

A "bad ground" isn't going to cause a fuse to blow. What you most likely have is a "short to ground" and it is somewhere between the brake switch and where the lamp test circuitry joins the wire to the brake lights.
Remove the fuse
Test the side of the fuse that gets power from the brake light switch - you should see battery voltage
Test the other side of the fuse holder from the fuse terminal to ground - You're looking to see if there is a short to ground.

This should help you get started on narrowing down where the problem is.
Also, it might be well worth the effort to try to find some schematics applicable to your bus. Perhaps on the inside of the outside electrical panel door??
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:45 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
I replaced the air brake switches and no dice. But, I was finally able to figure out that I am blowing the fuse every time I hit the brakes.
I would double check the wiring on that switch. You may have misconnected something or have a frayed wire that is shorting when the switch is activated
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electical, fuses, lights, wiring