Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Amtran Genesis - International
Engine: DT466 mech.
Rated Cap: 77
Brake relay location 1995 Amtran Genesis?

Does anyone know where the "brake relay" is located on a 1995 Amtran Genesis?

I apologize in advance for a long-winded background story but hopefully it will save everyone a few comments/suggestions.

Background:
The brake pressure alarm has been beeping on our bus (while it's running) ever since we bought our bus. Apparently it is a pretty common gremlin in IH buses and trucks with this hydraulic brake system. Due to other conversion priorities and the fact that the brakes work properly we haven't been concerned about fixing it. We have been unplugging the brake pressure sensor after we start the bus to shut off the alarm but I would like to fix it correctly now so we don't have to keep crawling under the bus anytime we want to go anywhere.

From everything I have read about this issue there are quite a few things to check that may be causing this alarm to turn on:
- tail lights (and corresponding grounds)
- brake pressure sensor
- power steering filter (and hose clamps on the suction and return lines)
- brake control module
- a relay near the master cylinder
- others I may be forgetting, including miles of wiring to examine

We have replaced all tail lights, turn signals, and backup light fixtures so there should not be grounding issues there. The siding is all new steel so no issues with corrosion and the lights work as they should to validate this belief. We replaced the master cylinder, pressure sensor, the brake light switch (behind the pedal, there's only one switch), and all brake lines and hoses (all this was due to rust/age issues, not because of the beeping). I also replaced the power steering filter and electric brake booster motor to no avail.

The only things that are left to try are a new relay, a different brake control module (~$100, we've already spent too much on misdiagnosises so hopefully I can try a used one or borrow one), or dig through miles of wire loom and harnesses to find poor connections. I figured I would try the easiest option first - a new relay - but can't locate it. Everyone on the internet says that the relay is somewhere near the master cylinder, which it is on one of the dog nosed buses in our school fleet, but not on our bus. The only one I can find is located in the fuse panel under the dash and switching that didn't make a difference.

Please don't tell me I might have to dig through all those wires

Stan350 is offline   Reply With Quote