Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Breaker box brand

I need a breaker box for my upcoming AC power installation. What brands/types have people used? Did you just get a generic box or something suited for RVs?
mattwpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
CaptSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 1,266
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Try Square D.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Defjr333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Culpeper, Virginia
Posts: 302
Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
AC and DC in one(one i use)

PD5000 30 Amp AC/DC Power Control Panel

AC only:

PD55B000 50 Amp AC Distribution Panel

DC only:

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD6000-...l#.WlgI166nG00

Doug
__________________
Ebike Build Thread: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...need-your-help
StepVan Build Thread: Coming Soon
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 925
Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I want to use Carling Type C breakers because they're small and available in both AC and DC versions - I could buy the Blue Sea or Paneltronics panels but they're pricy and don't do what I want, so I'm going to make my own panel from scratch. It will also have my two solar charge controllers' remote panels, the two battery monitors, the inverters' remote panels, the generator's emergency kill switch, and the AC and DC voltmeters, along with ten or a dozen breakers each for AC and DC loads. This way I'll have everything in one place and easily accessible. Sure, it's more work than just buying Square-D QO breaker boxes, but I also want it to look good. I'll make each section from 6" x 12" 6061 aluminum, all individually hinged for easy access, and each section can be moved if I have to expand the panel later. Should be good!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I want to use Carling Type C breakers because they're small and available in both AC and DC versions - I could buy the Blue Sea or Paneltronics panels but they're pricy and don't do what I want, so I'm going to make my own panel from scratch. It will also have my two solar charge controllers' remote panels, the two battery monitors, the inverters' remote panels, the generator's emergency kill switch, and the AC and DC voltmeters, along with ten or a dozen breakers each for AC and DC loads. This way I'll have everything in one place and easily accessible. Sure, it's more work than just buying Square-D QO breaker boxes, but I also want it to look good. I'll make each section from 6" x 12" 6061 aluminum, all individually hinged for easy access, and each section can be moved if I have to expand the panel later. Should be good!

John
It's Great !!!, says Tony Tiger.

Looking forward to seeing your wiring setup. Those panels are slick, but $500 is steep.

It might be a good excuse for you to get laser for etching labels.

blue.jpg

panel.jpg
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 AM   #6
Site Team
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 1,130
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
For AC wiring, I went with Square D from Lowes mostly because it was about the smallest "house style" breaker box I could find. Whatever you pick, check the price of the breakers. I don't know that there is a difference but I was a little shocked by that.

__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #7
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Whatever you pick, check the price of the breakers. I don't know that there is a difference but I was a little shocked by that.
Shocked, were you, JD?

It's the ink jet pricing model: printer is nearly free, ink $100
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #8
Site Team
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 1,130
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Shocked, were you, JD?

It's the ink jet pricing model: printer is nearly free, ink $100
HA!! I made a funny!!

You are exactly right Rusty - same pricing model!!
__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Thanks for the suggestions, folks!
mattwpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #10
Skoolie
 
druidwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Gold Bar, WA
Posts: 124
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 28
Defjr333 - I just bought the same AC/DC fuse box you use, but was surprised there are no dc switches, just area for fuses. Now stupid question, but can I use a regular AC type light switch and not wire ground or do I have to buy special dc switches? As you have already done this, I presume the hot from the 30 amp plug in goes to the 30 amp breaker, and the ground to the ground bus and neutral to the neutral bus? Then repeat for each 15 amp fuse? Just wonder because that would make the attachment on the 30 amp breaker incoming AC and for the 15 amp breakers would make it outgoing? I just keep researching this to realize I don't really understand it yet. Thanks
druidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #11
Skoolie
 
bubb, the real one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: central texas
Posts: 146
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
QO square D

This post may be too late...

I got a QO square D breaker box from a home store, while reading the manual it actually stated it is designed for DC power,

As I recall the homeline brand did not say in its manual anything about DC power,
__________________
my bus thread, https://www.skoolie.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8860&highlight=bubb
bubb, the real one is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×