Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2022, 06:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: Unsure.Handicap bus
Bus Lights Thread

My 2003 International 3800 has a few wiring issues that worked great as a schoolbus, not so well as an RV.
My school safety lights were spray painted black with the bulbs removed but otherwise they seem to have been left intact. If I turn on the "WL MASTER" switch it activates the child safety system (that I thought I had disconnected) and I need to push the doorbell at the back of my bus to get the lights to turn off when I stop driving. (Anybody else hate the "Hey what does this do?" visitors that push all kinds of buttons and switches that should be left alone?)

I want to remove the front lights, gut the wires, cover the light openings and put in off road LED light bars. On the rear, I want to remove the lights, gut the wires, and install outdoor RV speakers.
The other thing I really dislike, is that my headlights and taillights are on automatically if the bus is running. Is there an easy way to disable this? My electeical box is a maze I haven't quite decoded yet. And bears little resemblance to the wiring diagram from when the frame left International and Bluebird took over.
Attached Thumbnails
20220111_174032_HDR.jpg   20220111_174134.jpg   20220111_174217.jpg   20220111_175814_HDR.jpg  

Mr_Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:18 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
If it were me I'd use the wiring that's already there (what goes to the flashers) to power the led lightbar(s) you want to add. Why gut wire just to add more? They terminate at a flasher module (or distribution block off the flasher), so it would be real easy to move them over to your own circuit.

you could do the same with the rear (use them for speaker wires), but if your bus is wired for incandescent lights they'd probably be overkill (12awg). Still, maybe you want a sub back there If nothing else, I don't see the point of tearing them out. Why not leave them be to power something else you might think of later?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote