Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #1

Bus Won't Crank, No Lights or Dashboard Gauges

My bus started and ran perfectly several times before I began demolition work on it and cut the wiring to the emergency exits, overhead lights, and speakers. After 3 weeks of demo work and not trying to start the bus, I turned the key in the ignition and I got nothing: no dashboard gauge movement, no lights, and no crank.

I tried to jump start the battery with my truck, but I still got nothing, so I tested it with a multimeter. It reads 0.0 volts when it's hooked up to the battery cables, but if I remove the battery cables it reads around 3 volts.

I'm going to replace the battery today, but there's obviously something else going on since it reads 0 volts the moment I put the battery cables on the posts. Any suggestions?

SmithMS93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Light switches left on or possibly a dead short from a pinched wire. Happens a lot when people screw wall framing into the metal body of the bus and inadvertently run a screw or drill through a wire hidden inside the wall.

You can also try cleaning the battery terminals with a wire brush or pouring Coca-Cola over them. By the way, most skoolies are going to have more than one battery and it doesn't take much for a dead cell in one battery to discharge the other.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, crank, dead, start, won't