Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1999
Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Bus won't Start

Well my bus would not start today and I am lost. I start it at least once every month but this time its a no go. When I turn the key to the on position, I get the wait to start, water in fuel, and stop lights as usual, the low air buzzer, and other idiot lights. Also the normal clicking of one or two solenoids. When the wait to start light goes out, I turn the key to start. Most of the time it fires right up. This time it did not. There is a starter button next to the key that I have used a couple of times. Then there is a remote starter button in the engine compartment at the rear of the bus. That button button has always worked with the key on but not today. The batteries are good. The starter did not try to start. What could be the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Bus Start.JPG   Bus Start 2.JPG   Bus Start 3.JPG  

budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Try checking ALL the windows, switches, shifter, and emergency exits. If you have an interlock it could be as simple as a latch that's not shut all the way.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Try checking ALL the windows, switches, shifter, and emergency exits. If you have an interlock it could be as simple as a latch that's not shut all the way.
Tried today just before dark and still no go. Doors, shifter in neutral, battery connections look and feel good. But not a sound. If the starter has a solenoid on the starter like GM products, that could be the problem. There may be something else in the starter circuit that I don't know about. Too bad I don't have a wiring diagram, owner's manual or something!! Is it anyone on the that have a set up like mine that can give me some tips?
Old 10-30-2018, 06:19 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
You need a test light or voltage meter at the starter. There should be a large terminal that is hot all the time and another large one that is activated by the solenoid. When you turn the key or button to the crank position the smaller wire will show 12v and activate the other large terminal to crank the starter.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
Almost There

Do anyone know if the starter on the Dodge 5.9 Cummins engine is the same as the starter on the 5.9 Cummins in a Thomas RE bus?