Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #1

Bypassing interlock system

I hope I'm in the right spot, but we cut the wires on our bus and now it won't start. It's a 1995 Bluebird with a gas engine. We've been trying to re wire it at the electrical panel and cant seem to figure it out. I attached a picture of the wires and wiring diagram. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
20200927_182019.jpg   20200927_182023.jpg  

Elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
This is why it pays to research. Three things people should NEVER mess with on their bus, and that's one of them.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Where (like, where physically inside the bus) did you cut the wires?
Old 09-27-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Looks like solenoid #1 and #2 are gone. Definitely need more info on the bus and what wires you cut.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Where (like, where physically inside the bus) did you cut the wires?
We cut them at each emergency exit and the doors. Just the wires that made them impossible to remove
Elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Check your fuses near the cockpit area. I think you blew one for the ignition. Is your bus completely dead when turning the key?
If so, it should be 10 amp fuse. Pull it out and test with a continuity tester along with visual.
The pink and orange wires I think are energized so make sure to tape them off where you cut them.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elli View Post
We cut them at each emergency exit and the doors. Just the wires that made them impossible to remove
Well, hopefully all you need to do to get your bus started at least is to ground the powered wire leading to the barrel lock on your side exit door. The interlock is basically a single circuit that needs to be continuous for the bus to start. When either of the barrel locks on the emergency doors is thrown (meaning the door cannot be opened), this breaks the circuit and the bus can't be started.

If you locate the powered wire leading to the barrel lock on the side, you can strip the end and connect it to the bus body with a sheet metal screw. This will complete the circuit and allow your bus to start (the barrel lock will also have a second wire for ground - if you ground that on instead of the powered wire, the bus still won't start). You could also just splice the two wires (powered and ground) together to complete the circuit.

Note: you want to do this with the wire leading to the side door rather than the back door because the side door is the first one in the circuit (with the wires cut the back door barrel lock is not receiving any juice anyway, so grounding the powered wire won't do anything). You said you also cut wires on your doors (plural), and I'm not sure where they are in this circuit (or if they're even part of the starter interlock at all - I don't think they are).

I bypassed my interlock in this way. I want to keep the circuit active because when I complete my conversion, I'm going to wire it up to cabinet doors and stuff that I want to make sure I remember to close whenever I drive (like a cat door I'm going to put on my exit door).
Old 09-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I chose to bypass the entire lock out system on my '99. If you read post #13 in my build thread, I go over what I did and where the relay to bypass is located. I don't know if it is exactly the same on a '95, but this should be close enough info to get you pointed in the right direction.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/9...1-a-30079.html
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
I chose to bypass the entire lock out system on my '99. If you read post #13 in my build thread, I go over what I did and where the relay to bypass is located. I don't know if it is exactly the same on a '95, but this should be close enough info to get you pointed in the right direction.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/9...1-a-30079.html

unless theres a reason to keep it.. ie your kids like to open doors going down the road.. then completely disanbling the onterlocks right at the electrical panel seems like the way to go.. no worries of cutting a wire in the futire or something gets cut by accdeint and you get stranded
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
OP you might want to fill out your profile to include your locale, some folks here may be close enough to help you in person if you are stuck. Up to you.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluebird, electrical, ignition, ignition interlock, wiring