Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2022, 05:11 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Plex does everything I want.

milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:18 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
that was fun!

i put the wifi cam in the car and went around the block.

apparently my wifi cuts out about 1000' from the AP for the video cam, then comes back on as i return near the house.

i uploaded the return clip from the ubiquity system. this is their cheapest $30 camera. it did not make out the license plate of the passing vehicle.

I’m doing the same thing with a static mounted dash cam... but, my videos were emailed to the Sheriff’s office!

See if you can spot my problem
edit, this is not my property... it's a nearby intersection I've had several close calls at... I got the owner's permission to park my suburban there a couple days, to help alleviate his family's concerns

https://youtu.be/IZvr8nCDJ5U

https://youtu.be/PsakYTH3ark

apologies to the OP for threadjack

Amazon:
Dash Cam Front and Rear CHORTAU Dual Dash Cam 3 inch Dashboard Camera Full HD 170° Wide Angle Backup Camera with Night Vision WDR G-Sensor Parking Monitor Loop Recording Motion Detection
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:39 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
apologies to the OP for threadjack
ARRR! THERE BE PIRATES ON ME THREAD!!!

AND HE NOT BE HAPPY!

Naw I don't mind, I like threads that act more like conversations, and security cams were part of it.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:49 PM   #24
Bus Nut

To answer some of the other questions, I was originally thinking I needed 20,000 hours worth, but already decided 10,000 would be closer. I have a LOT of DVDs, including a lot of complete TV series I'd like to add in. The idea is to get them all loaded now while I have a home, and make sure my system works, then later on I won't need an internet connection to watch TV. I've already watched them all in the past, and the older I get the less sleep I seem to need, so... watching them over the next few years won't be an issue.

For music, as long as the title and album comes up I'm happy. I don't need album art or anything, just want the music. And, I already have my music collection burned, all 180GB of it. I guess I'm lucky that all my favorite artists are dead, retired or so old they can't sing well anymore as I've heard almost nothing worth listening to since 1991. Speaking of which, there's a huge difference in volume across the discs, any recommendations on how to level my entire collection? Not looking to lose the musical qualities you get from differing volumes, but to be able to set the volume at one point and not have one disk whisper quiet then the next one come across like I'm sitting next to the speakers at a heavy metal concert.

Front end, back end, I'm open on what's needed at this point as I've not spent penny 1 on equipment yet. But right now my favorite is a subnet isolated NAS that can't see the internet at all. I don't want my TV accessing the internet at all once I do this.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:11 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
To answer some of the other questions, I was originally thinking I needed 20,000 hours worth, but already decided 10,000 would be closer. I have a LOT of DVDs, including a lot of complete TV series I'd like to add in. The idea is to get them all loaded now while I have a home, and make sure my system works, then later on I won't need an internet connection to watch TV. I've already watched them all in the past, and the older I get the less sleep I seem to need, so... watching them over the next few years won't be an issue.

For music, as long as the title and album comes up I'm happy. I don't need album art or anything, just want the music. And, I already have my music collection burned, all 180GB of it. I guess I'm lucky that all my favorite artists are dead, retired or so old they can't sing well anymore as I've heard almost nothing worth listening to since 1991. Speaking of which, there's a huge difference in volume across the discs, any recommendations on how to level my entire collection? Not looking to lose the musical qualities you get from differing volumes, but to be able to set the volume at one point and not have one disk whisper quiet then the next one come across like I'm sitting next to the speakers at a heavy metal concert.

Front end, back end, I'm open on what's needed at this point as I've not spent penny 1 on equipment yet. But right now my favorite is a subnet isolated NAS that can't see the internet at all. I don't want my TV accessing the internet at all once I do this.

I burned my music collection years ago.. I have something like 1500 CD's (and another 500 records.).. the CD's were easy, I bought one of those 150 CD machines, load em up and go.. it downloaded the song titles from IMDB and tagged all the files.. I ran them in like 256k MP3 so they arent as Lossy.. I still have the machine, havent used it in years if anyone wants it..

records are grueling to encode.. record them, break the songs out, manually type in the meta data...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:50 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Van Hool
Chassis: C2045
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
Calling all Computer GEEks

Great answers from everybody except I would like to add try this for downloading movies, shows from almost any streaming service. StreamFab (www.dvdfab.cn). They sell it by the streaming service i.e. Netflix but look for a deal and you can buy the big daddy version that has all streaming services for not much more than the cost of one. I like Plex but will try others. I have all of my ssd (25 500 gig) drives hooked up to my NUC via USB 3.0 8 slot hubs. Plex finds them all. The reason for so many harddrives is to not have all my chickens in one basket in case of failure. Streamfab is fast and will download your selected movies unattended.
Bikeboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:14 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
The trick is download at home before you go on a journey. And don’t count on public wifi to download streams.. many free public wifi limits bandwidth for streaming services.. you can sometimes do better over VPN but even so you can still get limited. As a builder of wifi and I setup firewalls and routers. Streamers are the first thing we limit, next is apple and windows updates .. some networks we limit total megabytes used and throttle.. there’s a lot of leeches .. ie use the wifi but don’t buy anything.at the coffee shop or store.. our hotels pretty much all use cloud authentication.. if you don’t have a room and a name then you get tier 0 if any service at all.. Starbucks are still great places to go.. most don’t have any limiting or firewall if at all. Rural stores don’t have much total bandwidth. Suburb stores away from apartments are the best. Airports in early AM or late evening are great too if you are flying someplace, download away while you wait or after you arrive.. when place isn’t as crowded. McDonald’s suck they mostly still use ATT and it’s junk. Local businesses usually don’t do much more than install a cable company provided router.. buy a coffee and download away.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote