Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas Built Freightliner. Allison 2000 tranny
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65 (dognose)
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906 six cylinder diesel
Rated Cap: 35 feet long
Can I get 30 amps + 15 amps = 45 amps shore power?

I'm designing an electrical system for a skoolie. I plan to have electricity while boondocking, but this question is about shore power. If a campground or RV park site has a post with a 30 amp hookup, how common is it for there also to be a 15 amp hookup? If both are there, is it possible to take advantage of them both, for a total of 45 amps?

I anticipate that all the skoolie's power needs can be met with a 30 amp service, with the exception of the air conditioner. (If the A.C. was running at the same time that other appliances were running, the draw could exceed 30 amps.)

I'm envisioning using the 30 amp service as you'd expect: it would connect to a breaker box and inverter/charger. But could I wire the A.C. unit to plug directly into the 15 amp shore power?

David from Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Nope. AC (impedance) & DC (resistance) math are different.
That other outlet is just that, an outlet, that power pole is probably a standard nema rv panel, single phase (maybe 120v only). Main breakers are NOT sized by adding the sub breakers. They are sized to the line wire, devices attached, and/or neplate rating, if lower. Not gonna have a 50A breaker in a 30A panel and/or protecting the service conductor. 30A trips at 24A, a 50A at 40A so, not loading 45A on even a 50A se conductor.

30A & 15A will never be tied to the same two pole breaker.
Nope. No electrician would attach a device thats rated at 15A to one leg of a 30A 2-pole breaker and a 30A device to the other leg. Nor would anyone handle-tie a 15A 1P brkr to a 30A 1P brkr. Five more dangerous (electricution, fire, homicide) reasons I can think of. Remember that guy who looked up hot cars before leaving his kid in one. No one wants to be that guy. Run a 50A service.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
What do you all plan on running? You're typical rv ac unit can be ran off 15 amps easily, especially with a soft starter. How much other stuff on top of that do you plan on running?

If you have that much power need, you should wire it up for 50 amp service.

I guess you could put your ac unit on a 12 gauge 3 prong cord to plug into that outlet. And then run another cord for your interior panel to the 30 amp outlet/breaker. So long as the systems are separate from each other, you'll likely have no issues, but doing so is most likely against code.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I'm running 30 amp service to run 2 mini split ac/heat pumps and everything else. The mini splits are very easy on electric service.

Tags
a.c., air conditioner, electrical, shore power, wiring