Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2022, 03:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Child Safety Horn Alarm

*Sigh* my neighbors hate me.

I think I've tripped some sort of child-safety check. My 08 International, after running and being shut off beeped at me for 15 seconds then the horn cut on and it was relentless. Finally had to go under and pull the horn plugs.

I've searched and come up with the "checkmate" system and how it works, which sounds like what I've got, except I've got no CheckMate button on my bus at the back.

I've tried substituting a rear-emergency-door latch open for 2 seconds, then close, then turn the bus off, but no joy.

Odd thing, it didn't happen on the couple of on/off cycles driving it home. But sitting, starting, idling, then shutting off - and it's angry.

Any ideas? Is it maybe a system looking for a release/reset of the airbrake, and not a child safety thing?

AXett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:53 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXett View Post
*Sigh* my neighbors hate me.

I think I've tripped some sort of child-safety check. My 08 International, after running and being shut off beeped at me for 15 seconds then the horn cut on and it was relentless. Finally had to go under and pull the horn plugs.

I've searched and come up with the "checkmate" system and how it works, which sounds like what I've got, except I've got no CheckMate button on my bus at the back.

I've tried substituting a rear-emergency-door latch open for 2 seconds, then close, then turn the bus off, but no joy.

Odd thing, it didn't happen on the couple of on/off cycles driving it home. But sitting, starting, idling, then shutting off - and it's angry.

Any ideas? Is it maybe a system looking for a release/reset of the airbrake, and not a child safety thing?
Hey new guy, the search button is your friend here.

Look at post #3 by Simplicity, it explains a procedure that might just work for you.

thread -> https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/n...ind-37194.html

I am not sure if this is the same as your system but here is an install doc on the checkmate system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf child checkmate InstallManual.pdf (447.6 KB, 3 views)
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:17 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I promise, I searched quite a bit, and came across that thread! It wasn't a match for me, as I've got _no_ button of any kind in the back. The only mechanical switch of any sort back there is the switch for the rear door. As I mentioned, I tried using an open/close cycle of that door/switch as a substitute for the "button", per several threads' proposed procedures, but no dice.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:26 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I promise, I searched quite a bit, and came across that thread! It wasn't a match for me, as I've got _no_ button of any kind in the back. The only mechanical switch of any sort back there is the switch for the rear door. As I mentioned, I tried using an open/close cycle of that door/switch as a substitute for the "button", per several threads' proposed procedures, but no dice.
I found this in another schoolbus forum:

After you secure the bus (shift into neutral, apply parking brake), push the red override button turning on your red lights. Then, you can turn your bus to the "off" position. Your red lights will remain on, and your checkmate WILL NOT start beeping at you. Then, you can turn the bus to the "on" position. Your red lights will go off, but then you are free to turn on your ambers while you sit there and wait, and you can operate your door like normal.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:35 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Saw that too.... not sure I've got a red override button? Closest thing I've got is a "master flasher"?
Interestingly... I plugged the horn back in after it calmed down, and now... I can't make it happen again. Turn it on, twiddle all my switched, take my imaginary passengers on, but shutting off works just fine now?
I did find reference on another forum to it needing a full battery disconnect for the system to reset?

Since it seeming to go away, I tracked and pulled both the 6pin harness going to my 8 sided sign, as well as the J6 harness for "Emergency Exit". Now, no longer do my doors scream at me and I still can't get the honking to start. Maybe I should be happy?
Old 09-17-2022, 07:58 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

For somebody in the future who runs across this issue, but finds themselves without the magic "button". A guy from the local school districts bus maint sent me this pic. Wish I'd had this a week ago!!
Attached Thumbnails
bus_disarm.jpg  
Old 09-17-2022, 08:01 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

And of course the picture shows upside down. Good night, folks!
Old 09-18-2022, 06:28 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

One more from another forum detailing some things that can go wrong with the "LNCB" (Leave no child behind) system and possible fixes:
https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum...TOPIC_ID=21683
Old 11-03-2022, 08:54 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

2006 re 300

So now that I got my other bus up and running after an in-frame, come to find out I too have a NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND alarm.

What I did to deactivate it was to simply unplug the unit from the side electrical panel. Horn still works, bus starts just fine and interior light still work on the dash switch.

simple fix!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7650.jpg   IMG_7636.jpg  
Old 11-03-2022, 09:09 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

You got off easy! So far as I can tell, I don't have the magic box like that. I think International bakes that smarts right in somewhere? Or maybe I've just not found the magic box?

I've gotten around it (at least I think so) by disconnecting several harnesses labeled suspiciously. I'll get around to putting up some pictures or video of it here soon...
Old 11-03-2022, 09:19 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
You got off easy! So far as I can tell, I don't have the magic box like that. I think International bakes that smarts right in somewhere? Or maybe I've just not found the magic box?

I've gotten around it (at least I think so) by disconnecting several harnesses labeled suspiciously. I'll get around to putting up some pictures or video of it here soon...
Does your have the red reset button in the back of the bus, driver side, up along the top of the windows?
Old 11-03-2022, 09:23 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Does your have the red reset button in the back of the bus, driver side, up along the top of the windows?
No, and that was the cause of my initial confusion. I get a picture from a buddy of the procedure for the INT's that involves opening and closing the rear exit door as the "button". I think I posted it earlier in this thread maybe?
Old 11-03-2022, 07:07 PM   #13
Almost There

Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC CE300
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Hi Axett, I also have a 2008 CE300. I fooled around with the no child Left Behind interlock for some time until I gave up and went to nearby International dealership to disable it for approx $50 if I recall.
Seb1 is offline   Reply With Quote