Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Coleman Powermate Pulse 1850 Generator

I finally broke down and bought a real generator today. About a month ago I put my lawnarator to the test and it overheated after about 2hours of run time. I think it may need a larger pulley on the motor so it doesn't have to spin as fast. I'm thinking about going on a weeklong camping trip with my family this summer and I wanted something more reliable.

Anyway I found a coleman powermate pulse 1850 on craigslist for $190 - which seems like a great deal and from the specs I read online it seems like a good generator.

I'd love to have a Honda EU2000 but I'm way to cheap to spend nearly $1,000 on a generator, and used ones go for nearly as much as a new one. From what the spcs. say this coleman will go 7 hours on a 1.3 gallons of fuel and is 69db at 7 meters. So it uses about 2 times the fuel as the honda, and is about 2 times? as loud - still better than the average generator I think. And I couldn't pass up the price.

When I have a chance to try it out I'll let you guys know how well this thing works.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Coleman Powermate Pulse 1850 Generator

The lawnarator does have that cool "I built it myself" thing going for it, but this coleman is quieter, more fuel efficient, more portable, and doesn't overheat after hours of use.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Bus Nut

It works great! I got a new 700 watt microwave for the bus last summer and it runs off it (although for some reason the timer counts down quicker, then when plugged into grid power) I've run my leaf blower off it quite a bit, and it seems very good on gas... I've been blowing leaves for hours trying to run it dry for winter...

Plus I can carry it with one hand, and it fires right up on the first or 2nd pull almost every time. I highly recommend it, at a used price of under $200 It's perfect for someone who wants the EU2000 on a skoolie budget.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
It works great! I got a new 700 watt microwave for the bus last summer and it runs off it (although for some reason the timer counts down quicker, then when plugged into grid power) I've run my leaf blower off it quite a bit, and it seems very good on gas... I've been blowing leaves for hours trying to run it dry for winter...

Plus I can carry it with one hand, and it fires right up on the first or 2nd pull almost every time. I highly recommend it, at a used price of under $200 It's perfect for someone who wants the EU2000 on a skoolie budget.
The timer on your microwave isn't keeping time properly because that generator isn't delivering exactly 60Hz AC power. The timer uses the 60 Hz AC signal to base it's clock on, and the generator makes 60 Hz only when it's turning at exactly 3600 RPM.
It's no EU2000... the Honda makes high-frequency AC, then converts to DC, and then into near-perfect 60 Hz, 120VAC output, regardless of engine speed, allowing it to only run as fast as necessary to make the power being drawn from it at any time rather than having to run at full speed all the time. It won't make hum or buzzing in audio or radio gear, it'll make your computer happy, etc.
It's a LOT quieter, and lighter, and can be connected to another Honda to combine output power. And it uses less gas.
But yeah, the little red things cost more up front.
Believe me, I totally understand about budget restrictions! But whenever you can get yourself an EU2000, you'll be glad you did! No one ever seems to regret it. Notice how many Colemans are available used for cheap, and how few Hondas are for sale...

I do kinda' like your lawnmower generator! What I'd suggest for anyone that wants to copy that is a cheap (about $10 at the pull-a-part yard around here) GM "CS130" alternator. You find them on late '80s - early '90s small GM front-drive cars, which most yards are full of. Most make over 100 amps, and maintain high output at very low RPM. I have a contraption running two of them, wired together in parallel, at idle speed, and with an inverter hooked up I can draw 1100 watts of 120 volt AC and still hold a charge in my battery! (And remember, that's at idle speed!)

I've tried a lot of things to quiet one of those lawnmower-type air-cooled engines, from car and motorcycle mufflers up to running the exhaust into a barrel full of water and it doesn't work; the noise is mostly being radiated from the engine rather than coming from the exhaust, and boxing it up makes the overheating issue worse.
Joe Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Monstermaker
Believe me, I totally understand about budget restrictions! But whenever you can get yourself an EU2000, you'll be glad you did! No one ever seems to regret it. Notice how many Colemans are available used for cheap, and how few Hondas are for sale..
I firmly believe the EU2000 is wroth every penny, I just can't justify spending $1000 for one (some buses can be had for less than that ) I only really use a geni a few times a year. It is louder than the EU but it's nowhere near most generators. It may not be as technically advanced as the high end model... but then again neither is my bus.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

SPEEKING OF CHEAP GENERATORS I PICKED UP A 4000watt GENARIC FOR $150 IN JUNE
AND TRADED IT IN JULY FOR A 4000watt ONAN.

IT HAD TWO THINGS WRONG WITH IT, ONE BROKEN SPARK PLUG AND THE DIAPHRAM
WAS GOO.

I FIXED THEM AND IT FIRED RIGHT UP.

I ALSO REWIRED IT FROM 120v TO 240v IT HAD THE DIAGRAM FOR BOTH OF THEM.

AND IT IS QUIT EVEN FOR A TWIN WITHOUT A MUFLER AND JUST PIPE THATS ABOUT
18" LONG.

IT RUNS I THINK AT ABOUT 1800rpm LIKE A CHAMP.

BUT I STILL DON'T HAVE IT WIRED IN TO THE PANAL YET.
Attached Thumbnails
Haws_0090.jpg  

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote