Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 466DT
Console Switches

I'm working on reorganizing the console: lots of circuits gone, so I want to reposition the others.

Although I've considered completely rebuilding it out of wood, I kind of like the shape of the existing console and just want to rearrange rocker switches to make room for a backup camera monitor, some USB charging ports and the almighty cupholder.

Is there an easier way to get the switches out without breaking the tabs?

What about the banks of 3 that only have one switch in them? Is there a clean way to open up the other sealed slots to get put switches in there?

And what is the function of the green pliable looking circuit board behind some of the mounts? Does it come off easily? Is it necessary? Can they be replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3853.jpg   IMG_3854.jpg   IMG_3855.jpg   IMG_3856.jpg  

ted@campbycanoe.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Those look like my rocker switches. I have been wondering how to get them out as well, but the driver arewa is still a number of months away for remodel.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 466e
I have been diving deep into this recently. I am currently working to move all of my switches from drivers left to a console on drivers right so they can also be accessed by my copilot. I have a 2002 body International blue bird for reference. Your switch setup looks to be the same is mine.

Those are Eaton switches and the blanks are very easy to replace with switches or vise versa. The bodies around the switches can also interlock with other switches which makes rearranging them a breeze.

Is there an easier way to get the switches out without breaking the tabs?
the plastic tabs holding them to the face plate can be quite stiff but if you depress the correct tab, push up and hold you can move to the other tab and slowly work it free.

And what is the function of the green pliable looking circuit board behind some of the mounts? Does it come off easily? Is it necessary? Can they be replaced?
I believe this a ground for the body of those dials or "pots". All of the Eaton switches have a ground wire running to them whereas the pots body are conductive and are usually grounded to the metal body of the vehicle. since these are mounted to plastic the put a grounding pad in place.

I personally will be replacing some of these but I haven't progressed quite that far. You might be able to solder a wire directly to the body of the pot if you can't reuse the pad...

Anyway I'm sure more electrical wizards can expand on this. I will look through my pictures and see if i can find some detail shots of how each switch goes together for you. I have also taken apart the switch itself just to see how it works.
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I found my electrical diagrams here:
https://vantage.blue-bird.com/Portal/Vantage-Home.aspx

I put in my VIN and it gave a bit of good info. I have been collecting and saving as much technical data about my bus in a google doc for safe keeping.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:04 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, Naes14! I managed to get all the switches apart yesterday afternoon. Only broke about a quarter of the tabs trying to get them out! At least I'll be able to reorganize and reinstall now.

The green circuit board still seems odd. Grounding you think? It's got 2 wires to it, a blue and a black so it seems like a circuit. It also has a "120 volt Shock Warning" sticker on it. Which seems odd, too. Where are the 120 volts coming from?
Old 02-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah that's why I'm not positive its a ground. I have been meaning to scan through my wiring diagrams and see if I can find where its coming from. It doesn't even look like it makes good contact on my pots either so I'm still in the air on that one.

I got the go ahead to remodel my dash like the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon So I am working out the wiring to keep functionality with a bunch of retro futuristic illuminated buttons and toggles.

I'll update you if I learn something new.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

That's awesome. My brother-in-law who has an entire room in his house dedicated to Star Wars models will be jealous. Be sure to post pics!