Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Constantly on Hazzards, and stuck in Park. HELP

I have a 2007 Ford E350 SD Eldorado Shuttle bus, with a Wheelchair Lift; Gas powered.

I'll try to be brief and somewhat sequential. I've owned this for approx 4 months. The current problems are bolded if that helps

1. On occasion the front console will go blank and come back on within 5 minutes. The vehicle doesn't loose power.

2. On my recent (270mi camping ) trip this happened. At the time I was charging my Cellphone and Mickey mouse (Bluetooth)ears; the drive was night and it was cold, so of course lights & heat were on.

3. My Cellphone trickle charges I was running both Google maps & Youtube at the same time (power drain?) The lighter only gets about 2Amps of power. (A friend checked when I got home)

4. In the AM, I plugged in my Trucker Water Kettle for coffee; and 10 minutes later the Cigarette charger was D.E.A.D. I started the Bus to ensure the battery was good....it was. Don't worry I used the butane stove to make m coffee

5. When it came time to leave the RV park, (Noon); the freak'n bus would not go out of Park (GEARSHIFT PROBLEM). Everything else worked without heasitation....but the cig lighter.

6. I paid to stay an extra day to figure out WTF to do. Thanks to Google, I figured out how to get it into gear****

7. Coincidently, my neighbors in the RV Park were mechanics. They thought GEARSHIFT PROBLEM was the Break Switch/Sensor. They promptly changed it out....it did not fix the problem. They looked at some other stuff but I don't know exactly what was done.

8. At 5AM I began the drive home and had to drive all the way back with my Hazard's on....they wouldn't cut off. This problem wasn't identified the night prior because I keep the side entrance door unlocked when camping.

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE PROBLEM(S) IS? I am looking for the manual, and am awaiting a chance to take it into a BUS repair shop for an estimate...in the meanwhile I'd like to know if you all have any idea of
WHAT THE PROBLEM(s) ARE? ANY IDEA WHAT THE REPAIR COSTS MAY BE?

**** TO GET IT OUT OF PARK I had to press really hard on the break, whilst simultaneously jiggling the gear shift towards Drive, while at the same time s-l-o-w-l-y turning the ignition on. (found that tip on CarGurus)

TrailsBy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Alright, let's see here. In order:

1. I had an instrument cluster on a Volvo road tractor - as well as common on the Internationals - do this. Typical cause is failed/failing solder joints on the circuit boards. Usually no drivability problems, except no instrument readings. The offending solder joints can be re-soldered, or a replacement board can be installed. Research this for your year model of Ford.

4. I am curious if the water kettle exceeded the current rating for the lighter plug and blew the fuse. This would be the first thing I checked.

5. On many later model vehicles, the brake pedal must be depressed to shift from park. Basically, the brake lights must come on; there is an electric solenoid behind the shifter that releases and allows you to shift out of park. Also, if you parked in such a way there was pressure on the driveshaft (typically on a hill) this will make shifting from Park difficult as the parking pawl has a lot of pressure on it. I'm assuming the brake light switch was checked/replaced/adjusted to no avail. Refer to problem 4, check the fuses, especially if this circuit is combined with the lighter.

8. I'm lost on this one. Maybe something bypassed the switch? Anyone???
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
A ground may be the cause.
Do you have a voltmeter?

Visually inspect any related components where wire-to-chassis connection may be loose, weak, corroded, etc. Especially at the load center.

Also, give us more details on the engine, transmission, ....?
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:12 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Good morning, Happy New Year!

Just a quick follow-up on my OP. I took the Bus to a shop that works on buses (TheBusCenter.com)

#5: NOT GOING OUT OF PARK; The problem was recorded as:
"Found blown 20Amp Mini Fuse blown Fuse was causing the Intermotive Module and ODB 2 not to have a signal. Replaced 20Amp Fuse* and the bus will now come out of park as it should."

#8: HAZARD LIGHTS: "Found wires wired incorrectly; rewired & now hazards are working properly." My neighbors (#7) may have inadvertently done this when changing the break switch. No shade because nothing beats a failure but a try!

PROBLEMS #1-4: Apparently the fuse fixed that problem too. The ODM & 20Amp Fuse apparently also influenced the working of the Wheelchair Ramp.

The estimated cost of these repairs was $250+. I'm not quite sure because I had them also work on the Wheelchair ramp fixtures and the rear door. All-in-all it cost me a "Grip"....Housepayment....

*The fuse is Yellow and located in the Drivers Compartment near the pedals. Just sharing
TrailsBy11 is offline   Reply With Quote