Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Converter charger wiring

I have a 20 amp stand alone converter with 3 wires coming out: blue, white and red. It says blue to 12v unfiltered, red from battery storage for filtered loads and white to battery/panel negative. How do you wire this? Do you need to fuse the wires off of the conveter? It doesnt matter to me wether it goes to the 12v fuse distibution or direct to the battery, whatever would be the best option.

kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan (I think)
Engine: Cummins BT-6
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Converter charger wiring

OK, I think I found something that might help. Your converter is out of production, but a schematic was still available. The wiring should be attached as follows: The RED wire attaches directly to the main battery positive buss (or direct battery connection). The BLUE wire attaches to a DC distribution panel with appropriate fusing for lights, blowers, etc. that you wish to power up. The WHITE wire attaches directly to chassis or battery negative (ground).
The operation of the unit is this: when 120VAC is being supplied to the converter, relays RY1 and RY2 both pull in and supply unfiltered DC at about 14 volts to the BLUE wire which then powers your accessories attached to that wire. The converter also supplies 13.8 volts filtered and regulated DC to the RED wire to charge the batteries attached to that wire. This output is limited to 10 amps by circuit breaker CB1. Total current draw of the converter is limited to 10 amps @ 120VAC by TS1 thermal protector and F1 Slo-Blo fuse. TS1 will also protect against heat overload during Summer or lack of cooling airflow.
When no 120 VAC is available to the converter, it automatically switches the BLUE wire output to be fed directly from the RED wire input from the battery. Two relays are used to prevent either one from having to carry more than 10 amps of current, so the total current output of the unit is 20 amps. With any luck, this unit should work well for you.
I hope this gives you the information you need.
Lee