Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Engine: DD6V92T
Rated Cap: 88
Crown electrical issues

Hey everyone!

Iím hoping somebody out there can offer some guidance.

I have a 1990 crown supercoach II thatís having issues starting. It has a DD6V92T with DDECII. About a month ago I got my first check engine light while I was out getting gas. The motor went through the first three gears fine but while getting into fourth It powered down, check engine came on, and it went into limp mode. I took it to a diesel mechanic nearby who was extremely weary to look at it due to the wiring. He cleared the code which was for engine oil pressure sensor voltage high. I got the bus back, parked it, and it hadnít started since. I called the mechanic back, and he told me he did what he could... he offered to send a mobile tech, who I can still call in a pinch.

I called a different mobile mechanic that was recommended. He came out, blasted a can of starter fluid into the engine, crunched my secondary fuel filter(which was brand new) with a wrench that wasnít a filter wrench, told me to call him the next day, and then tried to undercut his company for cash. Needless to say, I did not call him back.

I then called and researched around for a mechanic with specific knowledge of Detroits. This guy was a huge help! He came out and immediately hooked up his pro-link diagnostic tool but we could not get the ECM to go online. He also checked the power harness for the ECM above the engine, which had no power. I have two 12D starting batteries, which we charged just to be sure. No dice. He recommended checking grounds and fuses. I checked as many fuses as I could find, and they were all still good. Iím working on getting some wiring schematics for this specific bus. If anyone can drop some knowledge on me, please do!

Thanks!

SuperII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
First off, that's a great bus. I can't help but this is definitely the place once the other guys get online. I would start by physically tracing the wiring back to the source where the power originates. This may require cutting ty-wraps or cutting into a wrapped loom. Like I said, the pros will be around shortly
Good luck
Rick
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Standby for Iceni John. I'm sure he'll be able to help and he has wiring diagrams. I was going to mention to be sure it's in neutral or it won't crank. I had that little problem last week myself with one. But with no power in the wiring harness you seem to have other issues. Don't dispair and don't go ripping stuff out at random till you get some advice. And you may have already noticed most all "mechanics" don't know sh*t about Detroits anymore let alone Crowns, especially in your neck of the woods. DDEC demands good power and solid grounds. So hopefully it will end up being something fairly simple once tracked down. Do you mean two 8D batteries which is what they were built with??
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks! I’m going to start tracing the wire back tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post
Standby for Iceni John. I'm sure he'll be able to help and he has wiring diagrams. I was going to mention to be sure it's in neutral or it won't crank. I had that little problem last week myself with one. But with no power in the wiring harness you seem to have other issues. Don't dispair and don't go ripping stuff out at random till you get some advice. And you may have already noticed most all "mechanics" don't know sh*t about Detroits anymore let alone Crowns, especially in your neck of the woods. DDEC demands good power and solid grounds. So hopefully it will end up being something fairly simple once tracked down. Do you mean two 8D batteries which is what they were built with??
I did in fact mean two 8D batteries. I'm hoping it's something I can track down myself. Thanks!

Tags
crown, crown supercoach, help me!, wiring diagram, wiring issues