Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 08:19 PM   #1

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Thomas Minotaur
Chassis: GMC Savana 3500
Engine: GM Vortec 4.3L V8 - Gas
Cut Emergency Door Wires = No Warning or Emergency Lights

Hi All! I searched for a bit but since every bus is a little different I wasn't able to find a relevant thread. I'm also new here so thanks in advance for your hospitality.
I have a 2012 Thomas Minatour built on a GMC Savana 3500 cutaway chassis. The bus had a small deadbolt to lock the rear emergency door when not driving as well as the standard emergency door wiring. I removed both, hastily (I know...), and discovered that the warning and emergency light switches on the rocker panel no longer turn on those lights. The bus starts, runs, and drives perfectly fine, thankfully.
When I hit the switch for either light set I can hear a click that I traced to a particular box in the fuse panel zone above the driver's seat. My electrical engineer buddy called it a flasher box, and I believe the brand is Weldon (I'll get a photo in the morning).
My question is, what's the easiest way to "trick" the system to thinking all is well and allow the light switches on the rocker panel to operate the lights? Should I be connecting the wires I cut to one-another in a particular order? Do I open the flasher box and make relays in there? If anyone has any experience with this, I'm all ears and grateful.
I've attached a few photos of the wires in question, and one of the bus itself.
Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210327_180810410.jpg   PXL_20210327_180836282.jpg   PXL_20210327_181037457.jpg   PXL_20210327_181605310.jpg   PXL_20210509_000149174.MP.jpg  

MTB-BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Well, actually I think you’ll find that the lights as they exist now on the Weldon 7 way flasher, aren’t legal for your bus now that it’s not a school bus. The hazards, though, should be working. I have an 07 Minotour. I was able to get the schematics from Daimler for the 7 way flasher. If you contact them you can get the schematics for your specific bus. If you want mine, just let me know.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:36 PM   #3

Thanks @Danjo - I figure the schematic you have looks like the one I just attached here? Let me know.

If it is correct, I looks like I just have to relay spots 10 & 11 together to make the flasher think the emergency door situation is ok. Am I way off base here?

I'll need to have some sort of amber or red flashers operating as hazard lights in order to pass inspection in a few months.

You got me thinking though, my plan is to have the front and rear upper outer lights be amber leds wired to the emergency switch which has the 2-stage rocker - so that would need to go through the flasher box in spots 2 and 4 (if that's the right schematic). These would be my hazards.

For the upper inner lights I'm going to run white leds for bright auxiliary lights, and wire front and rear to separate rocker switches. Since I don't need these to flash I figure I can bypass the flasher box and go directly from switch to light. Does that sound right? Will I need to do another relay in the flasher box to make it think it has something in spots 1 and 5?

It's a good thing I'm a nerd or I'd be frustrated by this stuff.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2021, 09:38 PM   #4

Here's the schematic I found, actually attached this time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Weldon 7000 Flasher Schematic.pdf (25.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I tried to upload the “8 way emergency flasher”
Schematic I have, but it’s too big. If you want a copy PM your email address and I’ll sent it to you.

Short answer to your question is “probably” I didn’t experience things the way you did. I “deleted” the emergency door alarms by just bypassing the switch
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote