Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2022, 07:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Diesel generator expert needed Seattle area

The generator fires up, but doesn't deliver power and smokes like a forest fire. Not sure whether it's broken or I'm an idiot. Had a fellow who knows a bit about RV generators take a look, but he acknowledged being over his head. If someone could recommend someone in the Puget Sound area--I'm in Tacoma--would be much appreciative. Thanks.

Digcolnagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:37 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
It is either not getting enough air or it is overfueling. I would check the air filter / intake for restrictions. If an injector is sticking open it would push too much fuel. You could try fresh fuel with an additive for lubricity (stanodyne, lucas ect).

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Diesel generator

Go to the shipyards. Small diesels are similar to the small diesels used to motor in sailboats.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:59 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
What generator is it, and what's smoking exactly? The engine exhaust or generator head itself?

I had this problem on my homebuilt genset, which was caused by one of the windings grounded to the case. This created an internal short, putting max current through the head, so with the main breaker flipped on, it billowed white smoke from the insulation burning off the windings. Took it to an electric shop and no one was interested in rewinding it, so the fix was a new generator head.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Boy, do I feel stupid--I bought this 28-foot Blue Bird knowing nothing about Skoolies or RVs.

It isn't a generator at all. It's a diesel heater, manufactured by Webasto. Made in Germany, they are, or were, coveted and cost a fair amount. The conversion was done in 2003, and bus apparently spent time in Alaska--it also has a propane furnace and block heater for engine.

I'm scratching head about what, if anything, to do about this.

My inclination is nothing. It's a liveaboard, with 110 shore power near Seattle, where the worst it gets is low 20s and not for long. I don't know much about electricity. If I can get by with a 1,500 watt space heater, I'm thinking I'll be OK.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/gh...-no?authuser=0
Digcolnagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 07:33 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
If you have a webasto, you have your heat source figured out. Just gotta wire it all up to house batteries and run your bus heaters for camping..
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:55 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
If you've got 110 shore, and aren't planning on moving this ever. You can leave it be, or remove it and sell it for what you can. They have value to them, more so if it's functional.

Insulate the bus well, and then use a heat pump of some sort for heat/ac. Space heaters for when the heat pump is no long efficient.

FYI, your windows and their aluminum frames will be the biggest leach of heat/cooling you'll have on the bus. Any conversion that's interested in maximizing their efficiency should probably have removal/replacement of the windows included in their plans.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:19 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
I put my Webasto DBW2010 on eBay (the whole system), and some guy bought it, but only wanted one part of it. He paid the full asking price, and I got to keep the rest of the system to part out later! IIRC he was looking for the burn chamber specifically.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:37 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
I put my Webasto DBW2010 on eBay (the whole system), and some guy bought it, but only wanted one part of it. He paid the full asking price, and I got to keep the rest of the system to part out later! IIRC he was looking for the burn chamber specifically.

I recently got rid of a burn chamber.. mine needed a motor that cost more than I could get a different unit for... the fan motor on those is big $$
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:39 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if a bus came with one and it smokes.. and its a DBW2010.. its EASY to fix.. its just like an oil burning home furnace.. change the nozzle and put the right size in.. and it will run like a champ.. if it never lights but just smokes it very well could be the ignitor rods need cleaned...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote