Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
Kinda curious, has anyone taken a diesel out of a car and plumbed it up as a HVAC unit and a generator?
Somewhereinusa built something that's sort of what you're describing. I think he has a little Kubota diesel though.

WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
Kinda curious, has anyone taken a diesel out of a car and plumbed it up as a HVAC unit and a generator?
I've never heard of anyone trying that. The problem with a diesel car engine is that they normally have a limiting speed or automotive style governor, meaning that it won't control engine speed all that well with a varying load.

That's something silvermachine will have to look into on that ebay engine if they plan on using it. IDK what style governor it uses.

To create AC power from a generator head, You'll need a variable speed governor or isochronous governor(typically expensive), otherwise your frequency will be unstable and that can mess/ruin stuff quickly.

Look up auxiliary power units for semi trucks. Those are all diesel powered and create heat/ac, 12v DC power, and some also have the option to create AC power as well.

On my apu turned generator, I eliminated the a/c compressor and heater loop so it only drives the AC generator and DC alternator. I wanted to be able to run the a/c on shore power if it was present, so I installed a rooftop ac unit which made the compressor unnecessary. I might hook the heater loop back up though if I ever want to cold camp. All it is is a port off the diesel engine cooling system, so plumbing it into a simple register inside the bus would provide heat. The little diesel engine surprisingly creates a lot of heat while running.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I believe PNW_Steve has one of those military 24v generators and decided against using it after hearing it run.

I've ranted about it elsewhere but if you're planning to use your bus in a recreational setting where you have neighbors within earshot, you're going to make a lot of enemies if you don't have a quiet inverter generator. This includes parking lots!
Absolutely!

Be aware of the impact you have on your neighbors.

We pulled our travel trailer out to Goose Point, the same spot you and Hillary went with us.

We got settled in to a great spot... Until another camper pulled up about 150 yards away and promptly fired up an open frame contractor style generator. Standing 3' from my Honda I couldn't hear it over over my neighbors noise. I figured that we would get some relief when the sun went down and it cooled off. I was wrong. They ran it all night.

We cut our stay short and moved to our favorite spot in the mountains and had the whole place to ourselves.

I would love to see a diesel inverter Generator. That would be the bomb for supplies.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, electrical, generator, power, skoolie