Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
All I learned about electricity I learned from poking a bobby pin in those little holes in the wall.

More fun if you lick them first Tango!

Old 10-28-2017, 07:18 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
All I learned about electricity I learned from poking a bobby pin in those little holes in the wall.
All I learned about electricity I learned from grabbing the handle of an un-grounded barn refrigerator and pulling it down upon me because I couldn't let go.

What you call 'electricity' I call a 'necessary evil'.

Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #23

Bump

I’m in the exact same boat ( or bus). I have a 1997 bluebird. I removed all the buzzer and interlock apperatis. I have also removed all heaters and associated wiring. And I removed the warning light “ little yellow box” and intend to remove all the upper lights and thier wiring. It has something to do with my being OCD I think. Anyway the bus will turnover but it will not start. So a question I have is, what happens when the interlock does its job? Does it allow the bus to turn over and not start? I have the same color wires as BrightonD. The orange wire is solely for the buzzers, the red w/ black stripe is for the E-exits safety, and the solid pink is for the ignition interlock. When the system is intact and working do the pink and red wired go to ground and allow the bus to start? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated...
Davisncd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:51 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 12 valve 8.3L Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisncd View Post
I’m in the exact same boat ( or bus). I have a 1997 bluebird. I removed all the buzzer and interlock apperatis. I have also removed all heaters and associated wiring. And I removed the warning light “ little yellow box” and intend to remove all the upper lights and thier wiring. It has something to do with my being OCD I think. Anyway the bus will turnover but it will not start. So a question I have is, what happens when the interlock does its job? Does it allow the bus to turn over and not start? I have the same color wires as BrightonD. The orange wire is solely for the buzzers, the red w/ black stripe is for the E-exits safety, and the solid pink is for the ignition interlock. When the system is intact and working do the pink and red wired go to ground and allow the bus to start? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated...

Glad to know someone else is in my boat[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brightond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:28 AM   #25
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800 7.3L
Anyone have experience with this rear setup? It got late so I couldn't tinker with it but I plan on clipping and testing the removal in a day or two. Hopefully I can just tie the two coming out of the wall together and call it a day. I'll keep you posted if nobody confirms beforehand.
Attached Thumbnails
20171113_160659.jpg   20171113_160710.jpg   20171113_160823.jpg   20171113_160830.jpg  
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:48 AM   #26
Almost There

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800 7.3L
Update: I just clipped the two wires coming out of the wall and capped each of them off and all was well.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
is just two relays there and one switch. my guess is that switch is NC normally closed for operation. so that rewiring simple
I would make a schematic diagram on paper, then I could tell the sequence of the relay operation for the door switch.
most all that stuff can be ash canned.
On my thomas, there was a wiring diagram for the entire bus on the access panel so all this stuff was quite easy to remove on mine
Could I see that diagram of yours
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #28

Year: 1991
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 28
Brightond - did you ever figure this out? Also have a bluebird and I removed my metal panels, which meant unscrewing my Child-Check system (so not ground) and now bus will crank, but not start. I tried disconnecting the orange and pink wires in the electric box, but didn't help. There is also a red with black stripe wire which I haven't traced. Looks like ground was done at each lock and no running ground wire. Any tips appreciated.
druidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by druidwood View Post
Brightond - did you ever figure this out? Also have a bluebird and I removed my metal panels, which meant unscrewing my Child-Check system (so not ground) and now bus will crank, but not start. I tried disconnecting the orange and pink wires in the electric box, but didn't help. There is also a red with black stripe wire which I haven't traced. Looks like ground was done at each lock and no running ground wire. Any tips appreciated.
Sorry, just seeing this. No, bus still won't start. I've exhausted my skills and am waiting on my buddy who is more electrical/mechanically inclined to help troubleshoot.

Unlike you I have no crank. All seems dead at the key. Weirdest part is as we were disconnecting the interlock / emergency door wiring we started the bus at every disconnect. Next day it decided to quit.

If you have any insights I'd love to hear them
Old 12-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #30

Year: 1991
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 28
I disconnected the pink and orange from both sides of the plug in panel (not sure correct name but think you need both sides disconnected) then went to the first or side door connection and just unplugged the red/black wire and it worked. Then I was able to cut it all out and just taped the end of the red/black power line until I can trace that. So my hint would be to check that the pink is unplugged on both sides. Good luck.
druidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I haven't disconnected the ignition interlock, but to disable the buzzers I simply removed the ground from them. That shut them right up!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by druidwood View Post
I disconnected the pink and orange from both sides of the plug in panel (not sure correct name but think you need both sides disconnected) then went to the first or side door connection and just unplugged the red/black wire and it worked. Then I was able to cut it all out and just taped the end of the red/black power line until I can trace that. So my hint would be to check that the pink is unplugged on both sides. Good luck.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Freightliner
Chassis: FS 65
Engine: 5.9L L6 Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Emergency Exit Wiring

This is how my 2001 Thomas Freightliner FS 65 (77 Pax) is wired to the emergency doors and windows. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Interlock Wiring 1.jpg   Interlock Wiring 2.jpeg.jpg  
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:32 PM   #34
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
Thank you that’s great
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Update: Bus starts!

Apparently my gear shift was not getting into neutral, therefore no starting. Playing with the gear from reverse to neutral fixed it.

Good news is the electrical drawings BlueBird sent me are accurate and I now have a much better grasp on the whole electrical system.

So, we removed all the door alarms and the bus starting was not affected. Sweet
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #36

Could you share your wiring diagrams from bluebird?
dimoimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Chevy Express Hi Cube Bus
Engine: 6.0l
I wish I would've checked here first. I cut the wires to the left side emergency exit window on my bus to move it and now the bus doesn't start. It was one purple and one white. Any suggestions on how to resolve now?
Evey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
try reconnecting them?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Chevy Express Hi Cube Bus
Engine: 6.0l
I ripped most of it out, threw it all away and reinstalled the window. ugh
Evey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
I also ripped out all the wiring for the emergency doors and hatches, just threw it in the scrap pile. But my bus is a 1995 model and has no computer chips, so it starts just fine. Now you know you can't get away with doing something like this on a bus with computer chips.

So I think what you need now is either a wiring genius who has some familiarity with your type of bus, or a wiring diagram.

And, hopefully to prevent this from happening to someone else, it would have been best to try starting the bus after cutting the wire, but before removing it. I'm still doing that as a precaution every time I mess with the wiring even though the bus has always started every time so far.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote