Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Disconnecting Wires

Hello-

I’m getting started on making sense of and deleting unnecessary wires. I have a basic question to start. I can unplug these plastic wire connections correct? Do I need to worry about shorting something? Do I need to cap them off in any way? I am labeling everything and will trace back to panel. Just to start want to make sure I can start disconnecting without any precautions.
Attached Thumbnails
0BA726FD-82DF-4A6A-8C5A-98DA00DB4F5A.jpg  

wencington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
make sure your battery is fully charged and the bus starts.
turn the bus off
disconect or cut a wire and make sure the bus starts and so on for everything you want gone.
once get into the light wiring i would use the same procedure with checking the lights you want to keep clip a wire you dont want and check your lights
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by wencington View Post
Hello-

I’m getting started on making sense of and deleting unnecessary wires. I have a basic question to start. I can unplug these plastic wire connections correct? Do I need to worry about shorting something? Do I need to cap them off in any way? I am labeling everything and will trace back to panel. Just to start want to make sure I can start disconnecting without any precautions.
What “unnecessary” wires do you intend to delete?

I would offer a thought in a different direction.
Identify the wire, label it and ask yourself, can I use this wire for another purpose, maybe lighting for a closet or under a cabinet?

And yes, you can cut the wire flush, cap it wit a wire nut and electrical tape just to make sure the wire nut stays in place,
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
If your plug's wired with anything other than a ground wire only (like that plug, which has one hot, one ground), then yes... if you disconnect the plug, leave it hanging, and the hot contact comes in contact with the grounded frame... it will short and (hopefully) blow the fuse for that circuit.

I habitually tape them over to prevent that unlikelihood. Or you could pull the fuse. Or you could just let it blow if it happens to ground so long as you don't care about anything else on that circuit. If it's something you're walling over permanently, I'd tape it up well. The last thing you want is some innaccessible short causing problems with a circuit you're using, plan to use, or may find use for later even if you can't imagine using it now.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

ok great. i'll make sure, just as an extra precaution, to tape over the ends of anything i disconnect.

as far as reusing wire... that photo for example is an interior dome light at rear of bus. i think i'd like to pull the old stuff and start fresh for anything...?
Old 12-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
ok great. i'll make sure, just as an extra precaution, to tape over the ends of anything i disconnect.

as far as reusing wire... that photo for example is an interior dome light at rear of bus. i think i'd like to pull the old stuff and start fresh for anything...?
WHY replace it ????
Because it looks ugly?

My bus (Amtran RE) had lights above the windows on both sides.
I am going to repurpose them, in the same place they are at. I am going with small round led lights, closet, extend the rear most so I can have lighting under the bed, also in any upper cabinets I install.

Others have saiid they would like to prevent hitting it with a screw or maybe it will rub against a sharp edge and create a short to ground.

Well that could happen with any wire within the bus body, underneath the chassis too!
The argument about hitting it with a screw, not a good one cause 1) there is already existing wiring, 2) you will be adding more wiring anyway.

Best thought I can share is A) find a way to re-purpose that already placed, fused and switched circuit or jus simply disable it at the feed by either pulling the fuse of disconnecting it from the switch.

I have even heard that it reduces weight in the bus….what, 5 pounds maybe?

I have read a lot of posts here of people who cut, remove wires and then ask for help because their bus won’t start or a circuit no longer works.

Best advice I can share, get a wiring schematic for your bus, study it real hard so you have a clearer picture of what it what and then make the right choices.

Me, I would cut and cap and leave in place.

Who knows, I might need that circuit further into the build!

Not trying to beat you up but I am not a fan of removing wires unnecessarily.

What kind of bus body you got?
I have wiring diagrams for IC Amtran that I would be happy to share.

Thomas bus body, just call a Thomas dealer. I have always been able to get a diagram from the dealers.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:39 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

got it. my goal was more of a strip to basics/clean up and start fresh. but i hear you and it might be nice to reuse if i can down the line. thanks for the suggestions!

i have a 2011 international
Old 12-28-2021, 12:56 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
My bus (Amtran RE) had lights above the windows on both sides.
I am going to repurpose them, in the same place they are at. I am going with small round led lights, closet, extend the rear most so I can have lighting under the bed, also in any upper cabinets I install.
Quote:
Best thought I can share is A) find a way to re-purpose that already placed, fused and switched circuit or jus simply disable it at the feed by either pulling the fuse of disconnecting it from the switch.
I too have an AmTran RE (1996) that had interior lights (and speakers) above the windows on both sides. However, those circuits are COACH circuits and thus powered through the coach battery, original fuse blocks and switches, etc. Thus they but drains on the coach batteries which isn't good if the mission of the finished rig is to sit in place for days or weeks at a time. I removed the entire harness on the passenger side from the right rear corner forward. of the two remaining necessary circuits, one wasn't even in the harness past the rear wall molex connector. So the TS didn't even work.
On the drivers side, all unnecessary wires are being identified and pulled with the goal that only COACH circuits will remain in the original coach harness.
House circuits will all be powered from the house electrical system which will be new install.

Quote:
I have even heard that it reduces weight in the bus….what, 5 pounds maybe?
Every rig and every demo is different but I've probably pulled well over 150 pounds of wire, cables, and control panels from my rig including:
155' of 7 wire cable
80' of 3 wire cable
200' plus of cables for the camera, left student, and other systems
30' of passenger side harness
3 large control panels for AC units
I should weigh just the electrical I've pulled.

Quote:
I have read a lot of posts here of people who cut, remove wires and then ask for help because their bus won’t start or a circuit no longer works.
OMG this is the biggest understatement. Know what you're doing before cutting wires. If you don't have skills with electrical systems go very slowly and one circuit at a time with restarts between each disconnect. If you're organized, disconnect (at connectors) and label several items and then restart.
And when you restart, ensure that ALL needed systems are functioning....... dash gauges, warning buzzers for air, and ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROLS like that throttle by wire "gas" pedal.

Quote:
Best advice I can share, get a wiring schematic for your bus, study it real hard so you have a clearer picture of what it what and then make the right choices.
Quote:
What kind of bus body you got?
I have wiring diagrams for IC Amtran that I would be happy to share.
And if you don't know how to read schematics, try YouTube university, call a friend, take a class...... they are your friend.

So.... do you have a schematic for something close to a 1996 AmTran RE with a T444e????
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 06:59 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
So.... do you have a schematic for something close to a 1996 AmTran RE with a T444e????
I uploaded a ton of electrical diagrams from the service manual I was gifted when I bought my bus.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/a...ams-25055.html

The master wire list identifies the wire by its number on the wire and separated by the colors groups too.

It should be the same on a ‘96 bus.

The service manual will not have engine info. Don’t know why! But i have a service manual and a diagnostic manual for the t44e. Pm your email and I’ll be happy to share.

You were on point with the house vs chassis distinction but that level of work imo requires some basic knowledge and understanding of the process.
My hat is off to those who have no knowledge and experience when they give it a try anyway. If anything, at least they are actively “ chasing the dream”.
Life is beautiful when you are lucky enough to be able to chase the dream!
Old 12-28-2021, 08:47 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

[QUOTE=HamSkoolie;461479]
OMG this is the biggest understatement. Know what you're doing before cutting wires. If you don't have skills with electrical systems go very slowly and one circuit at a time with restarts between each disconnect. If you're organized, disconnect (at connectors) and label several items and then restart./QUOTE]

That's the irony. If you know what you're doing, you know that cutting wires that could be powering any number of circuits or systems you may not be immediately aware of is a bad, bad idea. Too many youtube vids out there of people doing this. Then it becomes a case of 'monkey see, monkey do'. I've been gone for a year from this forum. Come back on day 1 and I see (not this thread) another poster perplexed about cutting wires.

Where's Nancy Reagan when you need her?

Old 12-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
I've been gone for a year from this forum. Come back on day 1 and I see (not this thread) another poster perplexed about cutting wires.
Welcome back.
Hope you put thousands of miles on that bus in the year you been gone!
Old 12-28-2021, 09:08 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
got it. my goal was more of a strip to basics/clean up and start fresh. but i hear you and it might be nice to reuse if i can down the line. thanks for the suggestions!

i have a 2011 international
International is the chassis.
What body is on the chassis?

If your not sure, up above the driver head, on the front wall or above the entry door is a sticker.

that sticker will tell you what body you have.

Also, since you have an international, make contact with the parts department and give them the vin number. ask them if they could e-mail you a "Build Sheet". It is a doc that identifies every single part on your bus build.
Very useful information to have.

Then get a notebook and start printing, saving anything you find useful about your bus and build.

Here is the "Electrical Troubleshooting" guide that is included in the Amtran Re manual.
Great info for a beginner to start learning from!

Enjoy the journey !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electrical Troubleshooting.pdf (872.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Welcome back.
Hope you put thousands of miles on that bus in the year you been gone!

Thousands of miles on my joints, perhaps. But the bus isn't done yet

Old 01-03-2022, 12:48 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
I uploaded a ton of electrical diagrams from the service manual I was gifted when I bought my bus.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/a...ams-25055.html
Thank you kind sir. A wealth of information.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote