Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2021, 09:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Mid Bus
Engine: 6.0L Vortec V8
Rated Cap: 16
EasySolar vs individual items

As I'm making my parts list, I'm weighing options between the Victron Easy Solar 1600 vs the Xantrex XC 2000, Xantrex Remote Panel, and the Victron 100/30 MPPT. I'm hoping anyone has input to help me decide. Here's my comparison list. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Easy Solar will give me the "better" MPPT but I don't know that I will utilize the added amps on the charger with only 630w of panels. It has integrated circuit breakers which would eliminate the need for a separate AC Distribution panel & breakers. It has additional MC4 ports to easily plug in a portable panel for some extra kick (thus better utilizing the 50a availability). It's a large unit, but would cut down on overall space and wiring real estate. It would make for a full "suite" of Victron items in my system. But...it's $400 more.

Using the Xantrex, I get 2000w vs the Victron's 1600w. While I won't have the day to day need for more than the 1600, you never know. It looks like the Xantrex will allow for a full 30a passthrough for my rooftop AC where the Victron's dedicated passthrough breaker is only 16a. This should be fine with the AC rated for 12a, but I don't know if only 4a of headroom will allow for the compressor surge. The Xantrex offers an 80a charger vs the Victron 70a. Not massive, but better.

Money is money and a little more here and there will add up over the course of the build. That $400 swing will be negated a little bit by eliminating the AC Distribution panel, a couple breakers, and some wire, but not a whole lot.

What would you do? What am I missing?

Thanks all!

gmflash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:11 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I'm at a similar point in my electrical solutions. I have decided that since I'm running an AC refrigerator, the induction motor surges requires a low frequency inverter. The Xantrex is high frequency. The Victron Multiplus series is low frequency.

I also don't "need" more than 2000w, yet, for just a couple of hundred more I can get the Victron Multiplus 3000w with 50a relay and 120a charging for just under $1,300. Oh, and a 5, yes, FIVE year warranty! Magnum offers a 3 year, Xantrex I think is 2 years.

Besides paying 20% more money for 50% more power, the Multiplus 3000 give me the ability to grow without having to buy anything else.

I was also looking at the Xantrex, Samlex, Magnum, etc., but the Victron Multiplus looks to provide a strong brand, good referrals from on this forum, a lot of bang for the money. I also think the Victron offers more expansion capabilities than the Xantrex.

I was referred to AM Solar in Oregon. I'm awaiting their response to my 12v solution. If nothing else, read about their staff on their website, pretty clever and funny.

Why are you looking at the Easy Solar product? Is it like an all in one solution? If so, what would concern me is if one component went out, I'd have no choice but to fix the unit versus replace the bad component with a more updated version.

Example, 6 years go by. You realize you want more "whatever" but because it's all in one package, you can't simply upgrade the "whatever". You either have to scrap your "package" and by new, or keep running the package product. It's a little too constraining for me.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:03 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Mid Bus
Engine: 6.0L Vortec V8
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I'm at a similar point in my electrical solutions. I have decided that since I'm running an AC refrigerator, the induction motor surges requires a low frequency inverter. The Xantrex is high frequency. The Victron Multiplus series is low frequency.

I also don't "need" more than 2000w, yet, for just a couple of hundred more I can get the Victron Multiplus 3000w with 50a relay and 120a charging for just under $1,300. Oh, and a 5, yes, FIVE year warranty! Magnum offers a 3 year, Xantrex I think is 2 years.

Besides paying 20% more money for 50% more power, the Multiplus 3000 give me the ability to grow without having to buy anything else.

I was also looking at the Xantrex, Samlex, Magnum, etc., but the Victron Multiplus looks to provide a strong brand, good referrals from on this forum, a lot of bang for the money. I also think the Victron offers more expansion capabilities than the Xantrex.

I was referred to AM Solar in Oregon. I'm awaiting their response to my 12v solution. If nothing else, read about their staff on their website, pretty clever and funny.

Why are you looking at the Easy Solar product? Is it like an all in one solution? If so, what would concern me is if one component went out, I'd have no choice but to fix the unit versus replace the bad component with a more updated version.

Example, 6 years go by. You realize you want more "whatever" but because it's all in one package, you can't simply upgrade the "whatever". You either have to scrap your "package" and by new, or keep running the package product. It's a little too constraining for me.
The Victron Easy Solar is an all in one product, but the MPPT is literally their 100/50 inside the box. If that were to fail, you could easily swap it out. If the inverter/charger portion should fail catastrophically, you could remove the MPPT and pick up whatever solution. But I totally get where you're coming from and while it SEEMS easy, it may not be that cut and dry which is another thing giving me pause. Also, while the Victron allows me to ditch the AC distribution panel, the outgoing breakers are only 2, 16a and 2, 10a. One of the 16a is dedicated to shore power only (which is what I'd connect my rooftop AC to) but then that means I have smaller breakers. Again, not an issue because at most, I'd run a higher draw item to the other 16a breaker that will be powering an outdoor receptacle.

I'm torn. I think once I have the inside framed up and can get a grasp on the space in the "garage" I'll be able to better decide.
gmflash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
While I like separate components typically, I would say it depends on whether or not you think you'll expand/add anything later. If the Easy Solar does _everything_ you think you'll _ever_ want there's little reason to shop around for parts, but if you think later on you might want something extra...

We have a Square-D 8 position AC panel, and it would suck to have less... keeping in mind, we run both 120V and 240V.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote