Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2021, 12:39 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Edecoa or Renoster inverters?

So I admit I'm suffering from the VGS virus (valley girl syndrome) and I like these inverters because they are green. That matches my interior color scheme, and this inverter will likely not be hidden away in a cabinet once installed. They almost look like the same company made them! Any feedback on the quality? I bought two inverters from Wal-Mart over 20 years ago, one even made it though a few years in Hawai'i (everything is eaten away by corrosion there), and both work fine. Yet I hear others on this site bummin' about "high-quality" stuff failing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EDECOA-Pure...D/232501505186

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Sine-W...l/274260640155

Old 03-16-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Without knowing much about these specific inverters at all you have to understand what they all are: over rated equipment with subpar components relative to the name brands.

If you use a 3500w inverter like this at 3500w for any significant time it’ll likely fail. If you need a 2000w inverter this may fit the bill and be okay.

My issue with the ones I’ve bought, and returned, were two fold: some of them make 55v on the hot and 55v on the neutral instead of 110v on the hot like normal electricity. I didn’t like that extra likelihood of getting shocked and the weirdness that it created. Second issue was that it made the light in my fridge blink. It drove me nuts. If it’s pure sign wave and providing clean power that shouldn’t happen. What is it doing to my computer, for instance? So I ended up with a Victron at 4x the price but honestly it feels worth it.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:18 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Never heard of them, haven't seen anyone testing these online either. The off-brand I really like is Power Jack:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6000W-LF-PS...Cclp%3A2334524

I would expect that to be able to do about 2500W continuous. I'd give even better chances to their 24V version:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6000W-LF-PS...YAAOSw0BJgRXiv

Both inverters linked are SPLIT PHASE- they provide both 120V and 240V service so you can wire your electrical panel identically to residential service. The inverters you linked provide only 120V service. I couldn't find any information on whether these are High Frequency or Low Frequency inverters, the Power Jacks linked are LF so they will handle surge loads better than HF inverters.

The Genetry Solar YouTube channel does performance videos on these:

If you want to do 2000W+ continuous on a regular basis consider their 8000W variant. And seriously consider bumping to either 24V or 48V.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:47 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Only the 2×55VDC, no "neutral/common" problem concerns me. I guess it shouldn't??? Why would it, in regards to anything I may plug into it ???
I will inquire about that one before buying it.

Flickering/flashing is junk. I would return it.

Not worried about split-phase 240V. No room for an electric clothes drier in my bus. Stove is propane.

Never going to use this with a "panel".

Never going to run 120VAC wiring in my bus.
At most I will connect a 20-amp 120VAC plug socket (with the weird T shaped hole) to run my welder from rare time to rarer time. This will be a temp connection while working only, and is the reason I want the 3500-watt model (assuming 120V × 20A = 2400watts)

I'll be using this for my laptop computer and monitor, mainly. I might even buy a small DVD player (I have a couple dozen music videos I've never gotten to see yet). The entire reason for yet another inverter (will be my third): pure sine wave.

Maybe I'll run a blender and make a peanutbutter & bananna smoothie. I used to do that when traveling in my car, and just took my 700-watt (1500 watt peak) Wal-Mart inverter under the hood, and made it there. That inverter is already mounted in my bus.

I will want to run a small shop-vac to clean the corners of my mobile home from time to time. Bet it works off that 700-watt one I already have.
Same for a basic drill.
Same for a DeWalt 18V battery charger.

And I have a sewing machine I'm dragging with me, so I can do seat covers when I get around to it. Plus I tend to build my own camping/caving/climbing gear at times. I question whether my 700-watt one would fire this up. Wouldn't do my Craftsman impact wrench, but that might have been too small 12VDC power feeds.

None of that stuff will be going at the same time.

NO fridge - I hate those vibrations, and in a bus?!?!?! NO
no coffeemaker
no microwave oven

Maybe a water pump? Likely that will be 12VDC or a foot pump.

Can't see a reason in the world to go to 24VDC or 48VDC. My stereo is 12VDC, and runs off my house batts that are charged with my 12V alternator. That is central to my life. My lighting is 12VDC LEDs. What else does a gnome need power for?

I want to pull the trigger soon, so I can get it in the mail and hit the road. I'm thinking I'm gonna gamble on one of these "name brands"...
Old 03-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Motors and surge loads are good reasons to look at LF inverters, but if you're not wiring in 120V anywhere though, LF is hard to justify. And split phase is more or less useless to you (even though it has utility outside of running 240V stuff).

The 24VDC / 48VDC question really has close to nothing to do with DC loads. I've never used more than 500W combined on the DC side, I run 48V to support the occasional 2000W-4000W pull from the AC side, and more frequently charge rates of 3000W or more. Most of my DC stuff is 12V although there is one 48V and a couple 24V appliances.

The inverter for you is a one-off thing, not something you're integrating everywhere like I did.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote