Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #1

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Either turn signal makes all flashers, flash.

hello guys, I’m just entering the skoolie community and im almost done with my build. my 2004 Thomas Freightliner FS65 has this weird issue with the turn signals where all flashers will flash when I try to indicate I am turning left or right. the only place where the lights flash left or right respectively is in the dash. the lights dont seem to blink excessively fast or slow.

any help would be appreciated

Go4Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
check for a bad 4 way flasher switch
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Check outside bulb wiring for bad grounds. Sounds like the bulbs are "grounding" through the opposing bulbs instead of the frame.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:07 PM   #4

Year: 2000
Coachwork: AmTran FE
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 72
did you add trailer wiring?
they make a trailer adapter for when brake and turn are separate on bus
elarryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #5

Im planning on replacing all bulbs soon since I have a few that are burnt out or missing. I can check the grounds while i do that.

there is no trailer wiring

and i have no clue where a 4 way flasher switch is. i never saw it when i went through the harness
Old 03-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
sure it's not in the column?
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:08 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
find the place where 12 volts can cross to the other side like the flasher switch. as mentioned check the signal selector for it as that might be your issue
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I had to replace my flasher relay, even though I had no idea what I was doing. I googled for wiring diagrams and all that stuff, but since my E350 was modified by a Canadian company 25 years ago, nothing matched up.

Fortunately, it's really easy to find the relay you need to replace. This is what worked for me. Remove the panels under your steering column, so you have access to all the wires. The relay will most likely be under there somewhere. Then, turn your blinker/hazard on, and listen for the clicking. The relay will make that clicking sound, and if you put your hand on it, you can feel it vibrate. It's just a little box with three or four wires going into it.

Anyway, I replaced mine but it didn't fix my problem. Oh well.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:38 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4Broke View Post
hello guys, I’m just entering the skoolie community and im almost done with my build. my 2004 Thomas Freightliner FS65 has this weird issue with the turn signals where all flashers will flash when I try to indicate I am turning left or right. the only place where the lights flash left or right respectively is in the dash. the lights dont seem to blink excessively fast or slow.

any help would be appreciated

Sounds to me like you have wires melted together somewhere after the flasher, from the firewall out to the front signals and rear signal wires.

Start at the signal lights, front and follow them back for left and right. They may have been resting near exhaust, turbo or rad and melted the insulation connecting both sides to together which seems to be the condition you describe.
If you have an ohmeter handy, set it on ohms. Test from the power wire on the left signal to the power wire on the right signal and check if they are indeed connected. Do this with no power on, but move the turn signal switch from left to off and right and compare results.
Your flasher seems to be working when the dash indicators work properly in my mind.

John
Old 03-27-2020, 05:55 AM   #10

okay I will start looking at these and testing all of them. i suspected that it was melted wires as well but i have found all wires to be in great condition so far, and I now suspect it is a ground problem in the bulb wiring.

Ive had very limited time to work on it this week but this weekend I should have it figured out.

also got in touch with Freightliner and they gave me a wiring manual and a list of connections to test to ensure the flasher circuit is operating correctly. ill add a link to the manual in this thread and a separate one for anyone that needs it
Old 03-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4Broke View Post
okay I will start looking at these and testing all of them. i suspected that it was melted wires as well but i have found all wires to be in great condition so far, and I now suspect it is a ground problem in the bulb wiring.

Ive had very limited time to work on it this week but this weekend I should have it figured out.

also got in touch with Freightliner and they gave me a wiring manual and a list of connections to test to ensure the flasher circuit is operating correctly. ill add a link to the manual in this thread and a separate one for anyone that needs it
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...NsvjXHO4SqdBa_
Old 03-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #12

Alright everyone after about 10 hours of trying new things and scratching my head, I started tracing the wires and found the rear wiring harnesses. i decided to unplug them for the fun of it and unplugged the first one, which i assume was connected to the 8 way flashers before they were removed before i bought it. I tested the left and right turn signals and now they are perfectly fine.

i assume there was a short or bad ground during the removal and that was somehow causing my flashers to go whacko.

thanks everyone for the help! im adding a photo of the harness i unplugged for anyone that may be having the same issue in the google drive folder I linked above.

Tags
flashers, fs65, thomas 2004, wiring problems