Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2023, 06:25 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Electrical delete

So I have a 1994 Ford E350 4 window mini bus. Collins is the bus body builder. What I want to do is delete everything from the bus side. There is a fuse panel above the driver's door in a little cubby hole. My plan is to unhook the main power feed to that panel and see what works and what doesn't. There is just a ton of wires coming off the panel and it's a total rats nest. I'm just not sure how much goes back to the E350 wiring. Has anyone done this before? I don't need anything in the bus body for my build. It looks like the brake and turn signals are still on the van harness.

Thanks Ray

Carrier6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 06:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I wouldn’t do it unless there’s a compelling reason to remove it. I’d only do it as-needed. There’s far too many people starting their project only go come here with a no start problem.

Just work around it. It’s going to be fine
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 07:26 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier6 View Post
So I have a 1994 Ford E350 4 window mini bus. Collins is the bus body builder. What I want to do is delete everything from the bus side. There is a fuse panel above the driver's door in a little cubby hole. My plan is to unhook the main power feed to that panel and see what works and what doesn't. There is just a ton of wires coming off the panel and it's a total rats nest. I'm just not sure how much goes back to the E350 wiring. Has anyone done this before? I don't need anything in the bus body for my build. It looks like the brake and turn signals are still on the van harness.

Thanks Ray
Bad idea, but if your dead set on it I would highly suggest you contact Collins and get a wiring schematic. That way you will know what your looking at.

Besides, if you mess up and come asking for help, you'll get quite a few TOLD YOU NOT TO DO IT!

It may look like a rats nest but let's be honest, you won't be looking at it while you drive!
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 07:45 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I wouldn’t do it unless there’s a compelling reason to remove it. I’d only do it as-needed. There’s far too many people starting their project only go come here with a no start problem.

Just work around it. It’s going to be fine
That's what we have been doing. The previous owners have cobbled so much crap in there. Plus it looks like there was some burning/shorting of wires the have been cut and piggy backed onto other wires. It's my daughters bus and I just want to clean it up so she's not stuck somewhere from a previous owners hack. I will see if Collins still has a wiring diagram for it.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2023, 08:19 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
If I were you, I would examine each wire carefully. I assume this is at the fuse block? I would examine each wire carefully and figure out how to Make it safe, as in, not going to become a sparkler someday,. I’d shy away from deletion.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 04:11 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
I'm glad I'm reading this. My recently acquired four window chevy has a huge panel of wire above the door/driver area. My plan is to trace out the wire that I can and see where they go and remove if I feel confident. Then after each one I will ensure the bus still starts and runs. I still haven't even deleted the flashers or disabled the annoying buzzer! Right now I'm 80% complete with demo and going to put foamular and plywood down soon. Once she has a decent floor she is "campable" in my opinion.
Diverdude0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 04:24 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
what bus body?
i have a 2004 express collins body that i have deleted alot of wiring and may be able to help with above the drivers seat and above the dash.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:52 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Mine is a 1994 Collins on a Ford chassis. But yes the rats nest above the driver's seat. All of the flashers and dash switches don't work and are broken. The only things that work out of all of it is the rear heater fan, but the water lines to the heater have been removed, and the buzzer still works.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:52 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Mid Bus

I'm not sure which bus body I have. It says mid bus on it and has a data plate. Might someone still have something to help with carefully deleting the unnecessary wiring, like a diagram?
Attached Thumbnails
Mid Bus Logo.jpg  
Old 11-27-2023, 10:58 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Mid Bus Acquired by Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
what bus body?
i have a 2004 express collins body that i have deleted alot of wiring and may be able to help with above the drivers seat and above the dash.
After some research on Wikipedia it seems Mid Bus was acquired by Collins in 1998. Might you have some diagrams to help with electrical?
Old 11-27-2023, 03:27 PM   #11
Bus Geek

mid bus was made by collins bus body.
my 04 is a mid bus guide and all of my wiring was/is labled every foot what it is.
my chevy mid bus has a fuse box under the drivers seat and the flasher bus stuff is above the dash.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:31 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdude0075 View Post
After some research on Wikipedia it seems Mid Bus was acquired by Collins in 1998. Might you have some diagrams to help with electrical?
sorry didnt see this post and no diagrams i just traced the wires out and cut one at a time start the bus, move the bus and then cut and remove the wire
then move on to the next wire.
as far as the van lock system i was able to connect the van lock pilot and the van lock relay together above the drivers seat.