Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2022, 04:50 PM   #1

Electrical Diagram Question

Can someone help with a full diagram? I will install a generator to the bus so that I can run it or hook it up to shore power, I do not plan on using solar.

However, not sure where to start. I would like it to kick over to shore power automatically once plugged in. It will have 120v and 12v power along with a mini split A/C. Any assistance would be great.

maxtwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:05 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Welcome

Welcome to Skoolie.Net
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:21 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
The search function is your friend. Try 'electrical' and pick the threads that look promising.

You can also go to the home page and start through the electrical section in 'skoolie tech'.

For best forum feedback, do some research, then post your initial plan with questions. People are happy to help out.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:03 PM   #4

Thank you!
Old 08-16-2022, 08:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
The search function is your friend. Try 'electrical' and pick the threads that look promising.

You can also go to the home page and start through the electrical section in 'skoolie tech'.

For best forum feedback, do some research, then post your initial plan with questions. People are happy to help out.
Thank you for the reply. I have been searching but most include solar and I'm not doing solar.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:57 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtwilliams View Post
Thank you for the reply. I have been searching but most include solar and I'm not doing solar.
Those forum posts are still going to be helpful. You'll need to do your own research and get educated on this stuff before you're done. No one will do it for you.

Here's a starting point:
1. Start with shore power. You need an inlet and most people use 30 amp receptacles.
2. Tie the shore power into an inverter. Many inverters auto switch between shore power and battery, and other inverters need an autotransfer switch.
3. You can use the same inlet for the generator power.
4. Pick a battery chemistry (hint: LiFePo) and get enough amp hour storage for you needs.
5. Go back to before step one and determine what appliances, lighting and other devices you need to power and come up with a power budget, then do step 4.

If you were to do solar you'd get some panels and a charge controller, then plug the output of those panels into your battery. Solar is almost completely independent of steps 1-5 above.

Like that.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Those forum posts are still going to be helpful. You'll need to do your own research and get educated on this stuff before you're done. No one will do it for you.

Here's a starting point:
1. Start with shore power. You need an inlet and most people use 30 amp receptacles.
2. Tie the shore power into an inverter. Many inverters auto switch between shore power and battery, and other inverters need an autotransfer switch.
3. You can use the same inlet for the generator power.
4. Pick a battery chemistry (hint: LiFePo) and get enough amp hour storage for you needs.
5. Go back to before step one and determine what appliances, lighting and other devices you need to power and come up with a power budget, then do step 4.

If you were to do solar you'd get some panels and a charge controller, then plug the output of those panels into your battery. Solar is almost completely independent of steps 1-5 above.

Like that.
What is the reason for the batteries when I'm either going to be on a generator or shore?