Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2020, 12:24 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Electrical Hardware

I laid down the plastic at Renogy today.

The setup is going to be all 12V with the exception of a single 120V outlet and a shore connection to the inverter-charger.

Where should I go for fuse blocks, switches, wiring and stuff like that?

Oh, not Amazon either. I’m not too into billionaires these days.

Thanks!

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:53 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post

Oh, not Amazon either. I’m not too into billionaires these days.

Thanks!

I hate to say it, but Amazon has saved my ass multiple times simply because of their super fast shipping and also they super easy return policies. I've ordered multiple electrical parts, only to realize on the weekend that they are the wrong fitting, or type, or voltage, and I can get a refund and the correct parts in two days. I fully admit that I am part of the problem.

But to each their own. If you're not doing Amazon, I would use a marine hardware supplier (NOT westmarine, they're too overpriced) like BlueSea Systems (that's the brand I use), or Jamestown Distributors. For wire I'd go with wiring depot.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:06 AM   #3
Bus Geek

If you don't want to support the hegemony of ever-more monopolistic corporations and their billionaire owners, you really only have two choices.

Withdraw best you can from our current social structures to somewhere you can live a primitive subsistence self-sufficient lifestyle.

Or dedicate your life to the (likely hopeless) mission of a peaceful overthrow of capitalism as it now operates.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Withdraw best you can from our current social structures to somewhere you can live a primitive subsistence self-sufficient lifestyle.
Wait isn’t that everyone’s end goal with their skoolie? Or is that just me? 🙃
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
Not me. I just want to have a good time in life.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I'm not fancy but I'm not trying to live "primitive".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
If you don't want to support the hegemony of ever-more monopolistic corporations and their billionaire owners, you really only have two choices.

Or dedicate your life to the (likely hopeless) mission of a peaceful overthrow of capitalism as it now operates.
There’s lots of places to spend money. I closed my Amazon account a year ago and haven’t noticed the difference.

10 years from now:

“It sure sucks that all the malls are liquor stores and vape shops and it sucks the skies are full of flying robots with IQs of 332 and no one has a job...but free shipping!”
Old 02-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:

Yeah, we're pretty much with ya. We're not primitive and still like our Verizon hotspot and being able to buy groceries with plastic, but it's pretty nice being able to live in the woods where the nearest neighbor is over a mile away. We'll be right there with ya (although probably miles away) in the Tahoe NF getting some goddamn privacy of our own.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
There’s lots of places to spend money. I closed my Amazon account a year ago and haven’t noticed the difference.

10 years from now:

“It sure sucks that all the malls are liquor stores and vape shops and it sucks the skies are full of flying robots with IQs of 332 and no one has a job...but free shipping!”
Systemic problems need to be solved at the systems design level.

Individual action is just the victims taking the blame and soothing the guilt
Old 02-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Systemic problems need to be solved at the systems design level.

Individual action is just the victims taking the blame and soothing the guilt
That’s taking a real passive position.

If I don’t contribute to something I don’t believe in then maybe I can do something to counteract that thing. I support small business when I can. I support local business when I can. I try to support companies that are fair to their workers (as I type on my iPhone )
Old 02-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Much more effective to participate most actively in organizations aiming to change the political landscape so at least local city / state / province and eventually national governments will work toward **actually effective** solutions.

In reality many of the most urgent issues require cooperation between the nation-states, national borders will continue to become less and less relevant.

Thinking consumer / lifestyle choices will work is a fantasy.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: IHC 3800, 7-window
Engine: DT 444 E, 215 HP
Rated Cap: 48 pass-29,000 lbs
I got a marine type fuse panel with switches and breakers. Run your main feed through a trip type breaker and wire to each circuit independently. That is most probably the easiest way to wire a 12 volt system.
harleydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:43 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydoug View Post
I got a marine type fuse panel with switches and breakers. Run your main feed through a trip type breaker and wire to each circuit independently. That is most probably the easiest way to wire a 12 volt system.
Thank you for getting this thread back on track.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #14
Almost There

Rated Cap: 71
I am very interested in the results of this post too. I am about to start wiring in my 120v system and 12v system for lights. Going with a similar setup but with 3- 24 volt, 300W Renogy Panels. I’m thinking of going with very similar setup to Jax Austin’s current rig I believe.
rydawg3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Back on topic

baymarinesupply.com, has some very knowledgeable and honest staff members, especially when it comes to Victron products, they sell through their website, locally in San Diego, and through amazon and ebay.

Blue Sea systems makes very high quality fuse blocks, and protection devices.

genuinedealz.com (weird name, I know) comes recommended by a source I personally trust in the marine world. They mainly sell high quality marine wiring.

Altestore.com general solar and electrical retailer, they put a lot of effort into catering to the DIY community and put out a lot of good informational content

AMsolar.com recommended for the same reasons as the Alt E store, I believe they are geared more towards complete solutions but also sell hardware a la cart.

Santan Solar Is a good resource for cheap new and used solar panels if you live in the Southwest (I believe they are located in Phoenix AZ). They ship nationally, but it might be prohibitive for fullsize panels--I haven't checked.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #16
Almost There

Rated Cap: 71
Thanks for that awesome info/resources dzl!
I’m definitely leaning towards marine everything simply because we will be rocking and rolling a lot on the road and I want everything to be as secure as possible.
Once again, thanks for the help
rydawg3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Yeah I tend to prefer marine stuff as well. Its just a much more quality focused, purpose built, mature industry compared to the RV industry. And they generally have much higher uniform standards (but also quite frequently a uniformly exorbitant price tag to match). I also find the knowledge base for the marine industry to be a great resource and far superior to the on-road world, especially for those like you and me who expect some rocking and rolling and rough road/no road.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote