Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #1

Electrical Under bed?

Any electrical experts have any advise on wether installing all my electrical components under my bed is kosher? Inverter, charge controller, batteries, and the sorts. I have limited space (3500 express short bus) and it’s the most logical in terms of allowing more storage in the bus. It will obviously be vented and accessible.

Thanks!

Mahali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
OMG! I’ve been struggling with that too.

You don’t want to put the inverter and charge controller with the batteries if you can help it.

I ended up with the batteries under the bed and the controller, inverter and fuse panel in the cabinet above the driver. To do that I had to use 4/0 cable. Not ideal.

Interested in what you come up with
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
If batteries are placed under your bed you should build a box that vents outside of the bus. This is especially true of flooded lead acid batteries as they vent fumes. I believe AGM also vent but not nearly as much. as far as other electrical components, I don't see any issues assuming they have proper space and safety aspects in mind.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Definitely make sure that your battery box is not able to vent into your living space.

Putting all of your electrical pieces under the bed may be convenient. I considered it myself. Then I got to thinking... If I had an electrical failure that resulted in fire, where is it most likely to occur. With 20+ years spent converting buses, refurbing RV's and working as an electrician I have seen a few failures. Enough that I do not want to be sleeping on top of the main electrical.

On my first bus I put it in a baggage bay. Safe but inconvenient, On my latest bus I have created a space above the engine cover that can be sealed from the interior of the bus and vents outside.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #5

I’ll be using 3 200ah AGM. I was planning on it all being vented. Do the battery’s or inverter generate and heat? That was my biggest concern which I should had made clear haha. I’ve read that you want the charge controller and inverter relatively close to the batteries.
Mahali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahali View Post
I’ll be using 3 200ah AGM. I was planning on it all being vented. Do the battery’s or inverter generate and heat? That was my biggest concern which I should had made clear haha. I’ve read that you want the charge controller and inverter relatively close to the batteries.
Everything generates a little heat. Your batteries less-so unless something goes wrong. The controller and inverter do, but shouldn’t be enough to worry about. Just keep room around them for airflow. You would not want, for instance, for boxes or blankets or clothing to be pushed up against your hardware.

Preferably the controller and inverter are close to the batteries. DC doesn’t travel well. So for me to have the batteries 40 wire-feet round trip required using 4/0 cable to be able to meet my 160A requirements. It’s working great, but it cost me $250 extra. I’m hoping to eventually move the batteries under the bus.

If you make your battery box vented to the outside, and sealed to the inside, then you could make an electrical panel next to the box.

It really is important that it’s sealed to the inside if you’re going to it this way.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote