Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
I've been eyeballing this diesel generator from Home Depot. Claims 70 dbs. Any thought?Screenshot_20180301-152230.png

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

Old 03-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I've looked at those too, and that's a very nice size. I've seen photos of those simply mounted in the back corner inside the bus as well as in the larger basement compartments.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I've been eyeballing this diesel generator from Home Depot. Claims 70 dbs. Any thought?Attachment 19525

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

Q&A says 353 lbs.

That looks like one of many Chinese imports that use a Yanmar clone air cooled single cylinder diesel running at 3600 RPM.

The ad says "quiet". I am curious if they really are quite enough for RV/Bus use.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
That is on the Home Depot app. BJ's has the same one for about $50 more.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
On a video I watched several years ago and the idea I am working on doing is I am rebuilding an old generator frame and all to fit it's intended spot under the bus and to quiet it down the idea is to fabricate the piece to connector a car muffler to it and then tie it into the busses tail pipe.
Issues I have daydreamed about with this idea is if you had to run both at the same time would the exhaust pressure from the bus put to much restriction on the genny exhaust?
Don't know yet but I old always keep them seperate and run the genny pipe to the same spot area as the bus and use the same size pipe as the bus on the tip to make it look like dual exhaust.
Don't know yet? Another one of my DIY projects not completed.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
On a video I watched several years ago and the idea I am working on doing is I am rebuilding an old generator frame and all to fit it's intended spot under the bus and to quiet it down the idea is to fabricate the piece to connector a car muffler to it and then tie it into the busses tail pipe.
Issues I have daydreamed about with this idea is if you had to run both at the same time would the exhaust pressure from the bus put to much restriction on the genny exhaust?
Don't know yet but I old always keep them seperate and run the genny pipe to the same spot area as the bus and use the same size pipe as the bus on the tip to make it look like dual exhaust.
Don't know yet? Another one of my DIY projects not completed.
Good luck
Half of the noise is the induction roar on small engines. Baffling the air inlet will cut the noise even further. Keep an eye on the temperatures though.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I could go to a bigger air filter inlet box which could help it breath better and dampen the sound or even go to a sidewall filtered return grill with a rain hood.
It's an older Briggs and Stratton cast iron motor that I have already been through and runs great it's just loud and the genny head works good it even has 12v plug.
Thanks for the tip on the intake. I didn't think about that cause all of my stuff is loud so I was gonna start with quieting the exhaust.
Maybe I need to get the exhaust mostly built and test run it out of the bus frame to decide what size filter box to use.
Thanks
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
May have already talked myself out of it with this Champion DUAL-FUEL 3100 Watt Peak Generator.
For anyone interested in this one, it appears that Champion should be releasing an updated version of their 3500 Watt Dual-Fuel generator this month, through Costco, which includes Bluetooth remote starting. If the price isn't crazy different from their existing 3500 ($1,099), I may just spring for the increased capacity and convenience.
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
For anyone interested in this one, it appears that Champion should be releasing an updated version of their 3500 Watt Dual-Fuel generator this month, through Costco, which includes Bluetooth remote starting. If the price isn't crazy different from their existing 3500 ($1,099), I may just spring for the increased capacity and convenience.
Sizing generators is tricky.

You want the max anticipated load plus a little headroom. Too big and you waste a lot of fuel, too small and it doesn't do the job.

One solution is two smaller units that can run in parallel at peak times.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote