Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2022, 11:45 PM   #1
Bus Nut

EV battery pack

If I missed anyone discussing this, it's probably because my duck-fu failed. But... has anyone considered using an EV battery pack for their bus's house power? Wondering, because it looks like it would make for a simpler install. One could pick up, for example, a used Chevy Volt in the 7000 dollar range, scavenge the battery pack and ICE engine, and have a compact 57KWH battery pack and an on-board generator designed specifically to that battery pack. The rest of the car could be parted out to recoup some of the money spent to buy it. Just a quick check shows that a typical full size house only requires half of this to operate for a couple of days, so this would likely allow a bus to boondock for a week, or let a bus run HVAC for a couple of days without needing the generator. The main disadvantage would be requiring gasoline for the generator if your bus is diesel, but it wouldn't be any great thing to add a tank, or use a diesel generator and sell the engine.

And, I did look into buying just the battery, looks like it would cost more to just buy a used battery pack from a wreck, and a lot more from a refurbishing center, and I wouldn't trust a lithium battery from a wrecked car. Those things can catch fire weeks after the accident happens.

Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 04:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Sounds like an interesting project!
I've not heard of anyone attempting such a task, so why don't you try it and document with pics and any issues along the way?
Seriously!
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Does this mean you buy

A prius, for a toad? You have generator and battery and another form of transportation?

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:27 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Sounds like an interesting project!
I've not heard of anyone attempting such a task, so why don't you try it and document with pics and any issues along the way?
Seriously!
It'll be a couple of years before I can actually start a bus, working on prepping a place for one first. My backhoe finally arrived today, looking forward to getting it out tomorrow. But, I'm thinking about it. A rather large capacity, compact, power dense, commercially built battery pack that can handle much larger power discharges than the home load on a bus could ever generate sounds appealing, and the cost doesn't seem bad either if you can scavenge from a working car and sell what's left.

Bad thing about me is, I don't like blazing trails, I'd rather follow a well-worn path. I'll do it if I have to, and will gladly share information on how, but much prefer to let others work it out. Done pretty well in life by learning from the mistakes of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
A prius, for a toad? You have generator and battery and another form of transportation?

William
Sadly, a Prius can't be flat towed, unless perhaps someone investigated whether or not 4WD lockouts could somehow be adapted to the front wheels to decouple the drivetrain from them. But I won't do it, because I don't like them as cars. I'm more of a truck guy.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:36 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Juan and Michelle, of the blog and YouTube channel Beginning From This Morning, have about 8 videos in a series on their use of a Nissan Leaf battery pack in their bus. Here's a link to the first blog article. He goes into lots of details about the process.

RV Lithium Battery | Nissan Leaf modules in an RV Lithium Battery Beginning from this Morning
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:18 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post

William
THAT is an awesome idea, William.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:43 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
One word I never want to say in my skoolie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
If I missed anyone discussing this, it's probably because my duck-fu failed. But... has anyone considered using an EV battery pack for their bus's house power? Wondering, because it looks like it would make for a simpler install. One could pick up, for example, a used Chevy Volt in the 7000 dollar range, scavenge the battery pack and ICE engine, and have a compact 57KWH battery pack and an on-board generator designed specifically to that battery pack. The rest of the car could be parted out to recoup some of the money spent to buy it. Just a quick check shows that a typical full size house only requires half of this to operate for a couple of days, so this would likely allow a bus to boondock for a week, or let a bus run HVAC for a couple of days without needing the generator. The main disadvantage would be requiring gasoline for the generator if your bus is diesel, but it wouldn't be any great thing to add a tank, or use a diesel generator and sell the engine.

And, I did look into buying just the battery, looks like it would cost more to just buy a used battery pack from a wreck, and a lot more from a refurbishing center, and I wouldn't trust a lithium battery from a wrecked car. Those things can catch fire weeks after the accident happens.
Most EV battery packs are made with Lithium Ion chemistry, because it is light and energy dense. This is wonderful for getting a lot of energy in a small space. But there is a very serious drawback to consider. Lithium ion batteries are volatile.

If the anode and cathode contact each other there will be a very violent thermal runaway. That word I never want to have to use in the same sentence with, "my skoolie..." is FIRE. You may think that since so many EV manufactures are using Lithium ion batteries they must have solved this concern. Not by a long shot. They package the batteries in heavy metal boxes and integrate cooling systems into the box, they develop complex battery management systems to prevent overcharging and under charging, but the fact remains. Lithium ion chemistry is unstable.

You mentioned buying a used Chevy Volt. Had you considered the problems they have been plagued with? Chevy Volt recalls.
Here are a couple links to youtube videos about thermal runaway with Lithium batteries:
https://youtu.be/VZSMEBzG_2k
This one goes into detail about what causes thermal runaway and examples.
https://youtu.be/VWMfeseybt4

On top of that what most DIYers do when they take an EV battery fir their power wall is remove the packs from their shielding and remove the battery management to build their own pack suitable for their power wall.
Personally I would never use a massive bank of lithium Ion batteries in my stationary setup, where they are not subject to the vibration and bumping around that a skoolie produces. One note in that direction is that every manufacturer of EV school busses that are currently in production or development are using Lithium Iron batteries. School bus design always errs on the side of safety.

Lithium Iron batteries, LiFeP04, are a little less energy dense than Li Ion batteries, thus are a bit larger and heavier, but still far more energy dense than lead acid batteries. If you are into DIY as you would be tearing a Chevy Volt apart for used Li Ion batteries, $7000.00 will build you about 25KW of LiFeP04 battery bank out of brand new cells.

Our battery bank is made out of 220AH 24V BYD commercial LiFeP04 batteries reclaimed from a solar farm. Used when we got them, but still testing out to nominal capacity. We have 6 of them in a 6P 24V configuration for about 31KW. We have less than three thousand bucks in the batteries.

I was just wondering why you would choose generator over solar? We lived that way back when gasoline was a buck seventy nine a gallon. Since we are full timers that ran us about $650.00/month in fuel. we got tired of that and built our solar system.

We have 12 329W Sunpower E series panels that allow us to live like we are grid tied, no matter where we are. It is currently 100 degrees here in the SW New Mexico desert, and the air conditioning is running day and night. Yet not a drop of gas is being burned.

You've got a lot of real estate on a bus roof and solar panels are getting cheaper by the minute. We have less than 2K sunk in about 4KW of solar panels and those are low yield compared to what is available today.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220831-153757.jpg   solar iteration 1.jpg   our batteries.jpg  
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:22 AM   #8

Veloc- Check out "Beginning from this Morning" on youtube!
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 09:33 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Rock n Ruth, that's exactly why I started this thread, to hash out the pros and cons. I hadn't seen it addressed here, soo... But I agree, lithium batteries are pretty unstable and need special handling but on the other hand, the load on the batteries is not as hard running house power as an EV where the batteries might be expected to push out 1000 amps without warning when the driver floors it. I'm really hoping that by the time I'm looking at a bus contemplating batteries that there's something better (ie, just as power-dense but lithium-free) out there.

Chesapeake, I'll take a look.