Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: Thomas 35'
Engine: Ford Diesel
Excess Wiring

Just new to the forum and doing my homework along with A LOT of learning. I read all of david.dgeorge07 thread and he removed a ton of wiring for items he did not intend to use, i.e. stop sign arms and flashers. He knew what he was doing and I will have to hire it out. Is it worth removing used wires from the harness to avoid problems down the line, or just leave them alone. Best, sjm

woof5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
Me Toooooo

woof5400 - Hi

I feel you. I'm sitting in the same place you are with the wiring. I need brake lights, head lights, the engine wiring loom and that's it.

Hope I can cut the wires to every thing else. Will find out.

Maybe we can start a wiring support group?

Good luck.

Mike
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Really it depends on your bus and your comfort level. i wouldn't pay to have wires removed, because worst case they're taking up a small amount of space. With that said, I removed more than half of the wiring running to the back of my TC2000 because they were for speakers and lights in the ceiling, and interlocks on windows and the exit door.

Very little skoolie stuff makes sense if you're not doing it yourself!
Old 05-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I'm not removing any wiring running the length of the body. The weight is negligible and I'm sure that I'll put it to other uses (sound system and fancy lights, mine is planned to be a party-wagon).

I have removed some of the wiring for the stop-sign (mine was air actuated, but I mean wiring for the flashing lights) and the removed camera system and 2-way radio. I kept the actual wires for whatever purpose may come along, but I wanted the insides of the dash as clutter-free as possible.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
When it is gutted there are really no diagrams to follow. Just simply start at the item and walk the wire the length and remove it. Have ye Faith,you got this.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles O Roads View Post
When it is gutted there are really no diagrams to follow. Just simply start at the item and walk the wire the length and remove it. Have ye Faith,you got this.

That's what I did. Just removed one wire at a time and ended up with a large box of spare wire. A lot of it was useful later on.

Take it slow with the interlock wiring. Just disconnect at first and make sure the engine will start before pulling the wires out.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas EF
Engine: Cat 3126
We ripped ours out and it was super easy. Follow all the wires from the accessory you don't need and snip it. Once you get more and more removed then you can start taking out fuses, solenoids, and other items that are just taking up space in your panel. I wish I took a before and after but it was well worth it.

The only problem we encountered was 6 months later when we went to start the bus and it wouldn't start. The wires for the door/window buzzers that were removed were not allowing the interlock to start. Once we found out where that was located, and noticed a lose wire hanging there, we just touched it to the interlock and it fired right up. Took about 5 minutes to troubleshoot.

Good luck