Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2022, 08:11 PM   #1

Fans/AC maybe?

Hello all,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, if it is just let me know and I can move/delete it I ’ll try my best to explain what’s going on but forgive me if it’s a little miseducated or unclear. I bought a 2003 Ford E350 cutaway Thomas minibus from this guy around 2 months ago. He was telling me about some component in the bus that doesn’t allow the back blower/fan and front dash fans (where AC/heat would blow out for the driver) run at the same time. He said right now it’s set to only allow the rear fan to blow. I was also told if it’s switched to allow the front to blow, both the back and front vents CAN blow out air, although they SHOULDN’T be ran at the same time. He made it sound like it was a simple switch of a button or something to make it blow to the front vents. With summer coming up, I’d like to have AC in the front, but I have NO idea what he was talking about and have found no answers. Does anyone know what this could be? Or does anyone have any other solutions for what they do to keep cool during the summer? Thanks in advance!

motm_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:43 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 76
Not an expert on these particular vehicles, but is it perhaps related to power usage? Or maybe the compressor for the AC can't handle the amount of cooling required for both front and back at the same time? As I said, not an expert...

If it's a factory installed system, I would start with the factory service manual. They can be had online for a lot less than a mechanic and will serve you well for as long as you own it. If it's an aftermarket, then see if you can determine make and model, then check with the manufacturer. Or, post that info here and maybe someone with a similar system can chime in.

Hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction!
jjaj823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:57 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by motm_04 View Post
Hello all,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, if it is just let me know and I can move/delete it I ’ll try my best to explain what’s going on but forgive me if it’s a little miseducated or unclear. I bought a 2003 Ford E350 cutaway Thomas minibus from this guy around 2 months ago. He was telling me about some component in the bus that doesn’t allow the back blower/fan and front dash fans (where AC/heat would blow out for the driver) run at the same time. He said right now it’s set to only allow the rear fan to blow. I was also told if it’s switched to allow the front to blow, both the back and front vents CAN blow out air, although they SHOULDN’T be ran at the same time. He made it sound like it was a simple switch of a button or something to make it blow to the front vents. With summer coming up, I’d like to have AC in the front, but I have NO idea what he was talking about and have found no answers. Does anyone know what this could be? Or does anyone have any other solutions for what they do to keep cool during the summer? Thanks in advance!
I have found the Thomas bus dealers are very helpful and co-operative in supplying equipment manuals or sections of the manual that you call them for.

I would find/ google a Thomas bus dealer, provide them with the vin number and ask them for wiring detAils on the rear a/c unit they installed.

Try it and please let us know how it worked out for you!

Oh yeah, then maybe you can upload the manuals they send you so you can pay it forward and help someone else!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:01 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
that does not sound correct?
both systems should be able to run at the same time for driver and passenger comfort if it was built with both systems.
unless an e350 compressor was installed that could only handle dash A/C without auxilliary A/C or 16 passenger van with the add on A/C.
that is a huge difference in compressor and the price of one.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by motm_04 View Post
I bought a 2003 Ford E350 cutaway Thomas minibus from this guy around 2 months ago. He was telling me about some component in the bus that doesn’t allow the back blower/fan and front dash fans (where AC/heat would blow out for the driver) run at the same time. He said right now it’s set to only allow the rear fan to blow. I was also told if it’s switched to allow the front to blow, both the back and front vents CAN blow out air, although they SHOULDN’T be ran at the same time. He made it sound like it was a simple switch of a button or something to make it blow to the front vents. With summer coming up, I’d like to have AC in the front, but I have NO idea what he was talking about and have found no answers. Does anyone know what this could be? Or does anyone have any other solutions for what they do to keep cool during the summer? Thanks in advance!
I'm with Jolly Roger on this one.
And I would be willing to bet that even a Thomas Dealer couldn't help you, other than finding/figuring out whatever hack was employed that the guy that sold you the bus was talking about.

Because what you're describing sounds like a hack. And I'd put money that Jolly Roger is right, that the OE system was capable of running both at once, but that, at some point in its life, something broke and was fixed or replaced on the cheap, that somehow reduced the capacity and/or capability of the system, and the compressor seems the most likely culprit, given their expense--particularly in higher capacity systems like you're talking about.

The other thing that possibly comes to mind, if you've got a continuous system instead of a split system as is common on more modern front/rear A/C systems would be a damper valve; basically closing off the vents in the front so that you get more air pressure to the back. If you were to open them both up, then you would lack the 'pressure' from the blower to effectively move air around, and while there might be cool air, it would move so slow that it effectively does nothing, and could possibly kill a tired, old blower motor.

The only other thing that comes to mind is if the aftermarket electric fans or some such were wired to the same circuit in such a way that trying to operate both would blow a fuse and strain your wiring. I've seen such things done before, but generally advise against them. I'd rather kill and replace batteries than have to pull new wires through a wall.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote