Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
First hand inverter experience? PSW vs MSW?

Hey Everyone,

I have been looking at inverter options for my Bluebird and immediately focused on Pure Sine Wave (PSW) inverters and did not even consider Modified Sine Wave (MSW) units at all. For obvious reasons the PSW inverters are superior. ....

And more expensive.

This morning I got to thinking about the argument against MSW inverters. Popular opinion (fact?) is that there are a number of devices that will not play well or will not play at all on a MSW inverter. The argument sounds plausible to me.

But......

When I converted my first bus in the early '90s there was no way I could afford a PSW inverter so I grudgingly put in an MSW inverter with the understanding that it had limitations.

I lived in that bus for almost 7 years and never found anything that did not play well on that inverter. I ran: desktop & laptop pc's, TV's, cell chargers, vacuum cleaner, convection-microwave oven, power tools and more.

Has anyone here had first hand experience with MSW inverters not working well with certain devices? If so, what devices?

Thanks

S.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I ran a MSW for years in my semi. I ran a frig, microwave, computers. The only problem I had was the microwave clock was off and it was a bit down on power. In the bus I started with MSW, the induction cook top would buzz even when off. I switched to PSW because I didn't want to chance the inverter mini splits.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
My fridge would be less cold and the light would blink rapidly when door open.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I don't even look at the clock on microwave...

It always looks like my old vcr
Old 04-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I've had the same experience with MSW. Everything runs acceptably but the microwave seems down on power versus when on shore/generator power. I use a CPAP (BiPAP) machine at night but I run it directly off the 12 VDC system.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Some devices aren't as efficient. My freezer rattles a bit. My friend's TV would audibly whine on a MSW. My laptop's charger would make a low buzz.

With that said, I run nearly everything from DC power, and I'm perfectly happy with my MSW inverter. I've got this one: http://amzn.to/2omHwLR

My inverter runs my chest freezer for half an hour or so per day (using it as a refrigerator), my TV, electric toothbrush chargers, power tool chargers, and for a few days every month a small electric heating pad. I've installed the same one on my boat. I like that it has a lot of surface area for cooling and has an auto-speed fan that doesn't make a bunch of noise just being on.

My friend who had the loud TV switched to this PSW inverter: http://amzn.to/2p3vFCg

It's got a remote power switch which is nice, he used that to trigger his freezer with an external temperature sensor. It has a wattage readout that's not accurate at all until you're drawing 100W or so, but above that seems to give a reasonable readout. He's running his freezer,a TV, occasional power tools, and a small vaccuum.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote