Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

FL Skoolie Pets

Hi everyone, i am learning alot here and planning electricity on a bus whoo. Ok, so I live in FL. I have 2 cats. Buses are bake ovens in the summer and I need AC to keep these cats safe. So, beginning planning the skoolie electricity for this purpose while maintaining a 1 Shift job and gone from the bus during the day specially in the hot humit FL sun, does anyone already have experience with pets on a skoolie while gone that could tell me where to start or have suggestions please?

A few concerns I have: Is I primarily plan to be plugged up. I think to myself, should I get an RV rooftop AC unit and I wander is one enough or should I get two. I wander if it would fit in the emergency roof hatch... Also, if power should go off while gone or something go wrong, I wander what to do as a back up plan. For a backup plan, I think I'd like to save up for Solar power one day and have something maybe seperate AC hooked up and set it so should the power fail, the solar powered would kick on, plus I might could use it for boondocking, but then that wouldn't last long I don't think.
Also, my uncle has an app on his phone where he monitors and controls his house temperature through his phone. I wander if anyones ever heard of an RV AC app to monitor its activity, shoot, I'd be weird about even trusting that, but thought an app would be good as a possible monitoring idea either way. How are others out there keeping your skoolie pets safe and cool when gone from home?

Ok, any thoughts friends? THANK YOU for reading this

mdbutler79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Hello,
I'm also a floridian, and in my house sometimes the thermostat hits 80-82 with the AC set at 76. I could only imagine a bus
I have not done any of these and my information is only from reading from others.

Plunged in with AC:
1. Dont cool the whole bus, but only a designated smaller are for your pets. (less volume of air for the AC to cool off)
2. get rid of windows; (or install double or triple panel)
3. insulated correctly, no thermal bridges
4. paint bus white
5. mini split AC unit (cool better than a roof top)

Alternative set up if no shore power:
1. Open windows (screened)
2. install 12v fans on both side of the bus and create a wind tunnel with the aim of the inside temperature being the same as the outside temperature.
3. lots of water for the cats to drink

Probably wont be able to run AC off solar.
There central and window AC with the app feature, i imagine there is also that option for roof tops.

gl,
raul
Old 08-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Those are good pointers, doesn't sound very hopeful though. i don't want my bus white, i don't have ac now in my home i can't imagine going skoolie and running fans, sounds worse and i don't want to close in windows i like the views. LOL, great pointers though!!! Thank you.Yah know another thing I've heard others say and show on youtube but was installing a regular window unit. But one showed they done it in a box where it dripped out window to ground and was perfect for traveling. mmm just another thought.
mdbutler79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Well, seemed like you wanted something more custom on your first post.
Easiest thing:
1. Remove bus window.
2. Slap window ac in place.
3. Turn it on

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2017, 02:51 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
My pet situation is unique...
Buddy goes to work with me. Boss' mother complained and I said "buddy goes, I go". Boss loves him!
In good conscience, I won't leave him on the bus while I'm at work... But, like I said... My situation is different.
Plus, He keeps the birds and mice at bay!
In this pic, he was on point for 5 hours because baby birds were in the wall by the A/C
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg