Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Flashers and turn signals don't work now

I've got some wiring issues. I disconnected the wiring packet that runs from driver side the length of the bus to the driver rear wiring harness and also the the packet that runs from the back passenger side up to the front door. I did this during the deconstruction phase. I removed 10 speakers from the bus, I detached buzzer wiring from 6 emergency windows and two roof hatches and i remove 12 interior lights. <--- I am not putting any of this back. I detached the roof strobe and the three exterior runner lights on each side <--- I'll be putting this back together. When I went to re attach the wiring harnesses at the back of the bus to move it... the break lights and the running light in the back work, but the strobes on the front or back and the flashers front and back no longer work. My thoughts are that its a grounding issue due to the removal of the buzzers the interior lights and the speakers (most ran only a hot wire then grounded itself to the frame of the bus.

first question: Does this sound like Im on the right path ... grounding issue?
second: If so how to I ground them out? can I run the hot to the frame knowing its such low voltage? Other suggestions?

I don't want to tackle removing this wiring at the electrical panel for such a dumb small issue. All the electrical worked before I started removing things. Also, tackling the electrical panel is way out of my depth.

Please help!

Old 08-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1955
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 6700
Engine: 327
Get a test light, it has a bulb with a probe tip and alligator clip. Is there a clicking sound when you signal, is the relay working? You can clip the test light to ground and probe the wires at the signal relay to verify the switch and relay function, and that you have power going to that system. If that works, remove one signal bulb and probe in the socket with the signal on, if the test light flashes, then yes, it is a ground issue.
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
Get a test light, it has a bulb with a probe tip and alligator clip. Is there a clicking sound when you signal, is the relay working? You can clip the test light to ground and probe the wires at the signal relay to verify the switch and relay function, and that you have power going to that system. If that works, remove one signal bulb and probe in the socket with the signal on, if the test light flashes, then yes, it is a ground issue.
There is no clicking sound at all from the strobe or the blinkers for the flashers
Old 08-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Some do, some don't. If your turn signal relays clicked when they worked and they don't click now, it could be either no power to the relay, or no load (open grounds) after the relay. A test light will help determine. I started a new post describing how I troubleshot my turn signal system, I hope it helps.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
Some do, some don't. If your turn signal relays clicked when they worked and they don't click now, it could be either no power to the relay, or no load (open grounds) after the relay. A test light will help determine. I started a new post describing how I troubleshot my turn signal system, I hope it helps.
Thank you. Gonna mess with it in a few minutes
Old 08-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
Skoolie

bit the bullet and snipped the wires our of the multiple harnesses. It was frightening! I traced them back and remove several I didn't need any longer. I hooked up all the stuff I was keeping and cut out al the daisy chained connecters and ran straight lines back to the harness. It all seams to be working now. I was sweating though when I snipped the wires.. had a "what are you doing Brian??" moment.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Good for you! It will be more reliable with less possible fail points, and the more you dig into it , the more confidant you will be.