Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2022, 02:41 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker View Post
I will be using US Energy 5mm Reflective foam insulation. It has an aluminized surface on both sides. When the panels are installed they won't be noticeable on the roof of the bus. Given that the panel thickness of about 1/8" and 5mm thickness of the insulation, they won't have much effect on airflow over the bus. They also don't weigh as much as conventional solar panels.
Sounds a good plan. One I may copy. Looking though, for insulation that will repel nuclear fallout.

sandbagger2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:33 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger2u View Post
Looking though, for insulation that will repel nuclear fallout.
Nuclear fallout will be "repelled" by the metal skin of the bus and the windows.

"Fallout" is the dust, debris, etc. that "falls out" of the atmosphere. Nuclear fallout is that stuff after a nuclear detonation and which will contain radioactive particles but those particles won't penetrate the metal skin of the bust. Most aren't hazardous except as ingestion and inhalation hazards.
Put a sprinkler system on the roof, wash the dust off, and drive out of the puddle before exiting.

Or, realize that in a post nuclear war situation...... YOU'RE DEAD, it's just a matter of how long and how painful that death will be. Yes, people survived Hiroshima and Nagasaki, some survived BOTH (talk about bad luck) and lived into their 90's at least. But those were TINY little pops compared to modern nuclear weapons and highly contained to just two cities. Post "apocalyptic" nuclear war, the human species will cease to exist.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 04:47 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Nuclear fallout will be "repelled" by the metal skin of the bus and the windows.

"Fallout" is the dust, debris, etc. that "falls out" of the atmosphere. Nuclear fallout is that stuff after a nuclear detonation and which will contain radioactive particles but those particles won't penetrate the metal skin of the bust. Most aren't hazardous except as ingestion and inhalation hazards.
Put a sprinkler system on the roof, wash the dust off, and drive out of the puddle before exiting.

Or, realize that in a post nuclear war situation...... YOU'RE DEAD, it's just a matter of how long and how painful that death will be. Yes, people survived Hiroshima and Nagasaki, some survived BOTH (talk about bad luck) and lived into their 90's at least. But those were TINY little pops compared to modern nuclear weapons and highly contained to just two cities. Post "apocalyptic" nuclear war, the human species will cease to exist.
And here I was feeling depressed about the price of gas making my skoolie unusable.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:04 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
And here I was feeling depressed about the price of gas making my skoolie unusable.

The price of fuel will come back down. Hopefully you're burning diesel not gasoline.
The nuke thing made me laugh. I've been to Hiroshima. It was a mere 35 years after the bomb and I stood within 120 meters of ground zero (one display stated it was 120 meters away, I was probably much closer but don't remember). Anyway, it was a LARGE and thriving metropolis that took a couple of decades to get to that level of infrastructure so they were building on ground zero within 15 years.
I've seen, just a couple feet away, the "shadows" of humans on the stone works at the time of detonation. It makes one feel rather inconsequential.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 03-05-2022, 06:08 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

here and now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
The price of fuel will come back down. Hopefully you're burning diesel not gasoline.
The nuke thing made me laugh. I've been to Hiroshima. It was a mere 35 years after the bomb and I stood within 120 meters of ground zero (one display stated it was 120 meters away, I was probably much closer but don't remember). Anyway, it was a LARGE and thriving metropolis that took a couple of decades to get to that level of infrastructure so they were building on ground zero within 15 years.
I've seen, just a couple feet away, the "shadows" of humans on the stone works at the time of detonation. It makes one feel rather inconsequential.
That's quite an experience. Aside from WTC, I've never been to a ground zero and never hope to be there. I do admire your optimism and hope it is congruent with reality. Russians could effect clouds of radiation worldwide if they fry those reactors in the Ukraine, but I think small and I'm just working on my bus.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:58 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
ham skoolie as an grunt i have been to all those places as well and the feelings of standing in some of them is we can only cary your legend forward.
and i will shut up now about what is going on.
texas marine that got out when the oil field was being plugged under clinton much less the bhudhapest agreement that took nukes away from ukraine and gave them to russia where we agreed to protect ukraine?
wtf? where are we?
our president denied a personal security company from giving the ukranian military fighter jets including worthogs in december.
imagine what convoy would look like if.
sorry i was supposed to shut up.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:36 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
ham skoolie as an grunt i have been to all those places as well and the feelings of standing in some of them is we can only cary your legend forward.

Not my legend.

My late father in law's legend.

He went to Navy basic training in Great Lakes for "a weekend a month and two weeks a year" (a reservist). One morning the trainers came out at announced that Japan had attacked Pearl and the Pacific Fleet and all reservists were "in for the duration".
His first two ships were sunk out from under him. His third was torpedoed and he went in the water with the abandon ship call....though they ended up saving the ship (Even though it was torpedoed while under tow the next day). When the second one was torpedoed he spent two weeks on an enemy held island before being picked up at night. They wrote a book about that ship "The USS Helena, fightnest ship in the Navy". There's a passage in there about the survivors of the sinking making for unseen land under the command of Captain Cecil using Ships boats and inflatable life rafts towed by the boats. One boat ran out of fuel and they towed that....they made it to land and couldn't get the boats over the reefs so they had to wade ashore being carried by those who still had their boots or shredding their feet..... I read all this after my father in laws passing...... but I knew the story, from his lips..... he was in Captain Cecil's boat.
Stuff that makes you sit silently in awe.

HIS IS THE LEGEND
Old 03-06-2022, 10:40 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Sounds a good plan. One I may copy. Looking though, for insulation that will repel nuclear fallout.

Mass & density are the factors that impact absorption of high-frequency radiation. Effective thermal insulation has neither. Unless you want to line your walls with lead or turn your bus interior into one big concrete form, there's pretty much nothing you can add that will have any significant impact on fallout. Circa-60s civil defense docs used to recommend multiple feet of wet newspapers lining the walls & ceiling of expedient shelters. Think I'd rather die of radiation than the mold that would result doing that in a bus. If you're willing to bury your bus under a few feet of moist soil, that might be doable. But that brings up other complications.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote