Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2021, 02:27 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: 2006 Thomas Freightliner C2
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906
Question Flooded Lead acid battery box?

Hey, I am planning on buying 8 GC2 Duracell Flooded Lead Acid batteries from Sams club for my battery bank. I will have 4 340 watt solar panels on the roof of our bus for a total of 1360 watts of solar. I would like to have the battery bank accessible (for maintenance obviously) but also inside. Right now I think ideally the battery bank would be either in our garage space (underneath our bed but still in the cabin, or in a storage cabinet a little closer to where the solar panels will be (but also still in the cabin). The reason we want the batteries to be in the cabin is because we will be living in a very cold climate for long periods of time and I understand batteries do better in controlled temperatures.

Something I am obviously worried about is sealing the battery box and venting it properly to prevent our bus from exploding (only being slightly dramatic) or from damaging other things in our bus.

What are ways you guys think I could build a sealed battery box with a good vent? Do I need to have a non sparking fan to circulate the air in there or can I let them passively vent just through a pvc pipe leading outside?

Other things I am aware of. The fumes can damage the inverter or charge controller as well as other electrical stuff. I understand I need to have the vent at the top of the box and the wires need to come out near the bottom to prevent the hydrogen gas from entering the space through those holes.

What are methods you have used to seal the box at the top and sides to prevent hydrogen gas from escaping?

I appreciate all of your help!

-Ross

Ross&Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
Bus Geek

If you do not seal the battery box then it does not need to be directly vented to the outdoors.

Just design so that they are near your normal exit ventilation, same with heat producing circuitry like your fridge.

Marine ply and the paint designed for that is fine.

Most important is that the batteries are very strongly strapped down.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Isn't hydrogen gas explosive at very low concentrations? What am I missing here?
Old 04-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: 2006 Thomas Freightliner C2
Engine: Mercedes MBE 906
Yeah, hydrogen gas is explosive, but it is what Flooded lead acid batteries off gas when they are charging. Hence the need to vent them outdoors, especially when using a propane stove.
Ross&Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery box, safety, solar power, venting