Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: International - AmTran
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DTA 360
Rated Cap: 25,500 lbs
framed solar panels

For as long as I can remember, framed solar panels were all mounted on a flat surface. So I always thought that in order to avoid having a framed flat deck on my bus roof, I'd go with 100 watt flexible panels.

I just seen a 1 year old YT video "1600 watts solar system install on a 5th wheel" by Hebards Travels

This video shows framed panel mounting on a curved roof. Huh . . .

Thinking I could have MUCH more solar input than previously thought. Perhaps enough to run a 220 line or two. Parked mini split and the clothes dryer.

No I haven't won a lottery. I simply dream big.

Just thought I'd mention this revelation of mine.

OrionsComfortBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:33 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Mounting rigid panels on a curved roof ain't rocket surgery! Actually you can make the curved roof work to your advantage, unlike a typical RV's almost-flat roof, if you pivot the panels from the center line of the roof, then they can lay down against the roof when traveling or be raised up when parked for better harvest. The way I did mine was to first build a walkway between my two roof hatches, then hinge four big grid-tie panels on each side of it. When stowed for travel they are all at 21 degrees down, and when parked I can raise whichever side is opposite the sun to 21, 33 or 45 degrees depending on season. This way I have all my panels angled, and even if half are not perfectly facing the sun it's still much better than all of them being flat on the roof. Angled panels also shed rain water and dirt better than flat panels. Keeping the panels off the roof also helps keep them cooler because air can freely circulate under them. Another thing I did was to make a separate support frame for each panel: the frames themselves are hinged to the walkway and have support struts on their outer edge, then the panels just sit inside the frames that take all the load; if I ever needed to replace a panel it's a simple 5-minute job to do it.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote