Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS-65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 77 Passenger
Freightliner Thomas FS65 Vandalock Delete- How to

Hello I would like to introduce myself as I am new to the forum and to joining the Skoolie journey! I have been an observer to this forum for awhile and have learned a great deal.. and I’m proud to say that I have recently acquired a bus of my own. I spent months bidding (and losing) on buses online, but the wait was worth it and I ended up getting a great bus at a very reasonable price. The amount of fun driving it the 1000 miles home definitely made me eager to get to work on it!

So like a lot of y’all, one of the steps in the conversion was to delete the vandalock. The bus I have is an 02 FS65 and I have not found much info on them.. unlike some I’ve seen.. I don’t have an access door on the side for the electrical panel (you have to take the switch panel off to access the wiring).. so if you have something similar this may be helpful to you. The vandalock buzzer is located in this cabinet.. but not the wiring that controls the vandalock. So next I removed the ignition switch to see if I could get a lead there.. but unfortunately all the wires were the same color! This left me stumped for a bit but found later that it’s actually really simple to delete the ignition lockout on this bus. The relay that controls the vandalock is located under the drivers footwell (by the “dead pedal” refer to the pics for the location). You’ll find striped purple wires as well as a yellow wire going to that relay. One of the purple wires is going to a jumper wire on the relay and the other is located separately on the relay. Simply omit the jumper and splice the two striped purple wires together.. and you’ll have no more ignition lockout and a spare relay! You can remove the buzzer as well.. but I chose to leave mine in as I found it’s actually helpful to know if any of the emergency exits are open. Hope this helps someone!

Btw in the journey to delete the ignition lockout I contacted Thomas in Houston and they were extremely helpful! They gave me a complete wiring diagram for the interior electronics (including vandalock) so if any of y’all need something specifically or all of it (if it’s possible to send a pdf that large) just PM me and I’ll send it over
Attached Thumbnails
D09DC4DB-C212-452C-8126-0E577BF61EC9.jpg   B493F7F9-FD18-4FD3-A794-C1066631550C.jpg  

Cam_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:13 PM   #2

Thank you so much! Any chance you could send me those wiring diagrams. Thank you thank you!!
Theraisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 05:33 PM   #3

Wiring diagram

Could I please have a copy of the wiring diagram? And what do you mean by omit the yellow wire and splice the two remaining purple?
Clonindm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 02:29 PM   #4

This is the only thread I can find that applies to my skoolie, and I don't understand what the OP means by saying "Simply omit the jumper and splice the two striped purple wires together."... what do I do with the yellow wire? Do I leave it attached to the relay in place? Cap it and remove the relay?
Terridax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 07:56 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
how to remove the Thomas Vandalock ignition interlock

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/h...ock-10956.html

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/0...ock-37386.html
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 12:05 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
I think you're simply connecting the circuit, it has to be always on. So by bypassing the relay it's always on at the box instead of requiring the interlock to be connected.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote