Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
fried electrics question

Hey all,
i've been having all sorts of problems the last couple weeks and i have a few electrical questions.
i fried my alternator a couple of weeks ago. i ran the mechanical motor anyway, i just had no juice to power headlights or blinkers......

when it fried, i lost a temperature sensor, blew a fuse on my gps, and lost the blinkers. now that i've replaced the alternator, the blinkers still do not function (light comes on but no blinking)and the temp gauge still not working. i replaced a fuse in the gps power plug and it works again.

any clues to why the temperature gauge would quit? did i fry the sensor or the gauge. the sensor wire is wrapped in metal from the engine to the back of the gauge.
where is the blinker relay?....its hard to find when it stops making noise.

is there an auto reset breaker that will reset or failed? i'm not sure if they are related or just casulties of the alternator.

thanks for any help

Old 07-23-2017, 06:46 AM   #2

Your temp gauge sounds like mechanical with the " steel wrapping " ,unless it's something used for abrasion protection, in which case not sure what would have happened to a mechanical gauge . I'd look for a fuse that may include blinkers and temp gauge should it beelectrical
Horsedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
On my 91 RE the blinker is in the panel on the outside under the driver side window. All circuit breakers are automatic reset.
What "fried" the alternator? Or did it just die? I wouldn't have thought the alternator not charging would have affected the headlights or the turn signals until the battery ran down. Might you have electrical gremlins that killed the alternator?
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
yep on the temp sensor. its a thermo couple. i found a replacement temp gauge for $10 and got it installed yesterday.

now i do have a sender that the parts guy sent, but its an electronic one and not the bimetal one.

my belt was too tight. the alt failed, and the water pump. i suspect the bearings in both failed.

i also suspect i warped the head and have a headgasket to replace now too. i see some oil leakage around the head gasket area that didn't use to be there. there was oil in my coolant too when i drained it for the temp gauge. today im going to find that flasher and at least have it out so i can cross reference a new one.

yes, no power for lights. alt has been replaced and now seems to be charging fine.

arrrrgh, its always something.