Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Just out of curiousity, the genny in question is dual fuel right? Is gasoline even required for it, or can it run solely off propane? Will you even have gas in the tank?
I was planning on not installing the gasoline tank.
Just using propane is my thought.

I may put in a disconnect on the gasoline line, that way, I could use gas, if needed.
Just make a simple bracket with wing nuts or something to temporarily install the gas tank when parked for a week or more…

KlingonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: MVP/ER
Engine: Cat3126B 230hp
Rated Cap: 48
Generator in engine compartment?

I had that same exact idea but decided to mount my champion 4200 duel fuel generator under the carriage on the driver side of bus where the removed AC condenser unit was located. I was in theory concerned about propane vapor fumes in a hot engine compartment.I am by no means an expert on this but just thought you would be better in a more open area.
Mat7783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:28 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat7783 View Post
I had that same exact idea but decided to mount my champion 4200 duel fuel generator under the carriage on the driver side of bus where the removed AC condenser unit was located. I was in theory concerned about propane vapor fumes in a hot engine compartment. I am by no means an expert on this but just thought you would be better in a more open area.
Temperature alone will not ignite propane. As with any other fuel, you need oxygen and a spark or flame.
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:29 AM   #44
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 84
If my bus was a Front Engine, or an enclosed Rear Engine type, like a Coach , I would not have even contemplated such an idea.

My bus is a typical Rear Engine School Bus that is barely a 4 sided box of an engine compartment.

I’m testing the generator for a another week or so before I install it back there, seeing as I’ll be voiding the warranty, I want to know its working properly!
KlingonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote